Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a nice 2001 SD cc dually, 117k. Stock exhaust, "high flow intake", edge prgramer:D no other mods, so for the most part stock. before the intake i had a decent amount of smoke, on quick take offs and accelerations. (on extreme) after intake i lost darn near all smoke only fast take offs does it smoke. When towing i get a whiteish grey haze when goin up hills and harder accel's. The HPOP is "ok" not strong but no CEL's yet. could that be the smoke, or what? just looking for knowledge. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
When towing you have a greatly increased load related to the weight you are pulling thus the smoke. Are you asking in the context of the lack of smoked being a bad or good thing? Adding the intake allows the the engine/turbo to breath easier increasing the air possibly decreasing the smoke you see. It seems the decrease in smoke was directly related to replacement of the highly restrictive stock intake you installation of the the performance version. What makes you think that wasn't the sole cause?

You mention the HPOP being OK "but not great." By what means do you know your HPOP is not perfectly OK? Have you done any data logging during any WOT runs to see?

If that edge has the tunes it came with I would suggest either getting them upgraded/reburned by a custom tuner that is`able to like Bil of PHP or better yet switch to a chip with custom tunes from one of the tuners that are on this site. Matt @ gear head, Jon @Swamps, Cale @ BTS, [email protected] PHP, Jonathan @ Beans, etc....

if you are concerned about your HPOP barring a code to tell you there is an issue you will need to do a bit of logging with a scanner. Here is a step by step of how to do that written up by Swamps: "How to check if my HPOP is good"

·
Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i undersood the less Black smoke after the intake, my concern was the grey when towing or just peddle threw the floor board.

The Hpop i asume is weak due to the occasinal P1211code :D but it never throws the CEL i just ran the codes with the EDGE box one time and seen it so i started playing with the truck some to see what all would set that code. I havent got it for a while but when it was real cold i was getting it(with truck at normal operating temp) every time i pulled out in front of somebody, but haven't got it since.

As far as the wondeful EDGE box, i was waiting to do the exhuast and HPOP i've herd that with Jon's tunes on the SD's the hpop can hold it back, then ill just get a chip with jon's tunes. What are the repercutions of runnig it?

Thanx

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
On the grey smoke there are others that have far greater knowledge than I. How bad /heavy is it? Any issues when it idling of first started more than normal?

As you seem to have an idea who you want to go with in Jon. Give him a call or shoot him an email and see what he thinks is best. I would still log the HPOP borrowing a scanner so you have hard numbers. If it is low and needs replacement IMO you may want to take a look at the Adrenaline from Bob Riley as it seems to be getting great reviews by everyone that has gotten it. Chip it and then you can still use the Edge for codes and what not. Get the exhaust with 4" dp, That puts you at a good base level of performance with out tearing into or doing any real wrenching on anything.

·
Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the smoke isn't reall bad, but you can see it in the mirrior when you are getting up to speed with 10k Lbs on a gooseneck. So i was just wonering if that might be HPOP weakness or IDM not holding injectors open long enough, etc. Thanx again

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
are you really saying ..
hey my truck used to roll the coal now it doesn't,
why come is that.

1st black smoke is unburnt fuel, kinda bad
(just a waste of fuel, and no longer PC).
maybe your new intake is allowing your turbo to push more air and you went from black to slightly grey...meaning it burnt more but not enough to clean up.

if you want to see the black roll on down an exit ramp, let off a bit till the turbo is at low boost then stand on it, mine soots up a bit till the turbo can clean it up.
i would recomend watchn your egts durring that though don't want to get too hot if your pulling.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Your goal should be no smoke. Pouring black smoke is inefficient, plus it attracts the smog police.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
are you really saying ..
hey my truck used to roll the coal now it doesn't,
why come is that.

1st black smoke is unburnt fuel, kinda bad
(just a waste of fuel, and no longer PC).
maybe your new intake is allowing your turbo to push more air and you went from black to slightly grey...meaning it burnt more but not enough to clean up.

if you want to see the black roll on down an exit ramp, let off a bit till the turbo is at low boost then stand on it, mine soots up a bit till the turbo can clean it up.
i would recomend watchn your egts durring that though don't want to get too hot if your pulling.

That's what I wasn't sure about either by the way his post was written.

·
Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea i knew the intake would clean up the smoke thats why i did it, plus the power i was just makin sure i didn't have another problem on my hands. that i was gonna have to deal with, an exhuast would really clean up the smoke wouldnt it? more air flow.. boost fooler, im sure im losing power there. Ive played quiet a bit in the OBS s but the SD's im not sure what all it takes to hit that wonderful MAP senser :D

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Get switched over to a chip or have the edge tune flashed by Bill and then re-evaluate would be my suggestion. I have heard that the edge can be hard on the HPOP but do not know this first hand. Regardless I would only run tunes from a custom programmer that does the 7.3 specifically and that I can contact to tweak things as needed..

·
Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx for the help, and yea cause like i said the P1211 code came up a couple of times but then it quit, and when you get into it you can tell its hittin harder especialy around 2800 rpm -3k it just pounds harder then ive herd compared to SD's with the chip. What about the map sensor should i be lookin at a fooler or is that not real important right now due to little mods?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
When you are towing 10K on a hill and gassing on it almost all will put out a haze. Mine does it. Do the exh (4" turbo back) and some real guages. Doesn't the edge get the egt reading from the pcm? I'm not sure but I want it straight from the manifold. Just my $.02.

·
Cummins?$?$?$?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yea the 4 in" turbo back, and i nice set of Auto meters is gonna look nice, trying to get a hold of Bill i just e mailed him. All this is after the Trans, cause right now it likes to let the motor scream insted of turn the tires. Especialy with the 10K :D hoping for BTS cant promise anything right now.

And my programer only shows EFT, TFT, Line p/r, Exhuast Back P/r, and RPM's. I dont know if bill can change that or not that was one of my questions for him. Id like to get icp, and oil temp. gear would be nice to.

How hot should a Stock trany get? pullin 10K at 45-55 mph with air temp at about 45-50F? Probley not what i've seen out of it. 210 225 is the hottest shes got and i wasnt peddle to mat tried to get motor over 2400 rpm but when i had her up to 55 for six miles she got hot, and it stayed in overdrive didnt down shift, didint even sound like it wanted to. Thanx again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts