Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my head studs in for a touch over 20k now and have noticed that either while pulling or running a higher setting that I'll get some puking out of the degas bottle. If I'm driving sane, I don't see any coolant loss, just under 'extreme conditions' :rolleyes:

Is this common?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
I've had my head studs in for a touch over 20k now and have noticed that either while pulling or running a higher setting that I'll get some puking out of the degas bottle. If I'm driving sane, I don't see any coolant loss, just under 'extreme conditions' :rolleyes:

Is this common?
EGR cooler is leaking.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine did it the next day but it was my Degas bottle. They replaced the bottle and cap after cooler and HG's and ARP's. It's fine now on high tune and driving it hard.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had everything replaced (heads, gaskets, egr cooler, egr, oil cooler, degas bottle and cap) initially. Then ~7k later the egr was replaced again.

I'm at the point where I'd like to bypass everything.

I pulled the tune off and have been running stock the past few days (I've resorted to huffing while driving to make it more exciting;)) If the egr cooler is leaking does it throw any DTC's? Not losing any coolant right now.

Do the studs need to be retorqued?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Who did your studs? They make an egr delete up-pipe. What Tuner are u running? You can get the up-pipe in 2 styles one that looks as if everything was still hooked up like factory and another that is smooth (no connection to the Cooler). With either of these you have to have a custom tune to turn off the EGR valve. EliteDieselEng.com has both. This will take care of your puking problem if the head studs were done correctly.

·
Diesel Addict
411 Posts
My truck is at the dealer right now for gaskets/studs. They have done quite a few ARP stud installs but is there anything I should ask or "remind" them to do during the install?

·
Registered
62 Posts
My truck is at the dealer right now for gaskets/studs. They have done quite a few ARP stud installs but is there anything I should ask or "remind" them to do during the install?
Ask them to make sure they hook the flux capacitor back up! Be patient with them and let them do it right. Drop a 12 pack off to the tech!

·
Diesel Addict
411 Posts
Ask them to make sure they hook the flux capacitor back up! Be patient with them and let them do it right. Drop a 12 pack off to the tech!
LOL The flux capacitor . . . The reason I was asking was Logan mentioned in his last post.

This will take care of your puking problem if the head studs were done correctly.
Just wondering if there were known problems with installation, torque sequence, etc.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Off topic. Billet I got your level kit installed. I also had to by a track bar 2 inch drop kit because it was way out of spec but it looks good With the Toyo Muds!

·
Diesel Addict
411 Posts
Off topic. Billet I got your level kit installed. I also had to by a track bar 2 inch drop kit because it was way out of spec but it looks good With the Toyo Muds!
Off Topic - Oh, good deal! But who said it was "way out" of spec? Just curious. Been running mine now for 35,000+ miles, no problems, goes straight as an arrow, no erratic behavior at all, aligned right up with some castor cams. It does shift the axle to the driver side but not enough to cause any problems in my experience. Heck, the axle is not straight under the front from the factory! But, the 2" drop bracket can't hurt. What/Who's bracket did you use btw? PM me some pics if you can. Always like seeing a nice leveled truck. :D

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I/ll try to get some pics this weekend. The ford dealer would not aline it with out the drop bracket. I got it on ebay new from skyjacker for 120.00. coils on the passenger side were rubbing on the frame. I have the snow plow springs so it was already pretty high. I centered the steering wheel myself and have not got it a alinment because it pulls straight with te drop bracket. pulled to the left without it.

·
Diesel Addict
411 Posts
I/ll try to get some pics this weekend. The ford dealer would not aline it with out the drop bracket. I got it on ebay new from skyjacker for 120.00. coils on the passenger side were rubbing on the frame. I have the snow plow springs so it was already pretty high. I centered the steering wheel myself and have not got it a alinment because it pulls straight with te drop bracket. pulled to the left without it.
Very strange . . . I would get it aligned anyway though because castor will be off for sure and you probably already notice the increased bumpsteer as a result. Also, they will adjust your Tow In/Out to prevent uneven tire wear. Never heard of the coil rubbing on the frame. Is the front level or significantly higher in the front? Nonetheless, glad it's the way you want it. I bet it looks good too! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who did your studs? They make an egr delete up-pipe. What Tuner are u running? You can get the up-pipe in 2 styles one that looks as if everything was still hooked up like factory and another that is smooth (no connection to the Cooler). With either of these you have to have a custom tune to turn off the EGR valve. EliteDieselEng.com has both. This will take care of your puking problem if the head studs were done correctly.
My Ford deal installed them. I'm running the ID SCT (tow aggr, street, extreme street) and I typically roll on the tow setting. The puking happened while hauling (25k gross weight)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you had it pressure tested? I'm thinking about it, just to put my panic to bed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts