Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most common questions on all of PSN is: “What kind of mileage are you getting?” or “What kind of mileage should I be getting?”

Having seen literally thousands of these on the Nation and the old Ford-Diesel.com, my short answer is “13-16 MPG.”

Your mileage may vary. What are the variables?

The biggest variable is truck configuration. I’ll post a base configuration and options that add or reduce MPG. All are going on either my own experiments or the overwhelming majority of posts people have made on the subject.

All MPG figures assume an empty truck, driven at the posted limit. One-third city/suburban, one-third, two-lane state roads, one-third Interstate driving. Flat terrain. Year round averages.

Base configuration
7.3, 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7 engine or any Cummins engine in a Ford truck
ZF6-650 transmission
Super Cab Single Rear Wheel
3.73 gears
OEM Rubber
Open bed, tailgate up
18 MPG

MPG Modifiers
4x4: Subtract 2.0 MPG
Automatic: Subtract 1.0 MPG
Regular Cab: Add 1.0 MPG
Crew Cab: Subtract 1.0 MPG
Big Tires (bigger than 31.7” OD): Subtract 1.0 MPG
Lift: (3” or greater): Subtract 1.0 MPG
Dual rear wheels: Subtract 1.5 MPG
Open bed, tailgate down: Subtract 1.0 MPG
Flush top cap: subtract 1.0 MPG
Tonneau cover (full length, soft or hard): Add 1.5 MPG (over open bed)
Aerolid: (very rare): Add 3.0 MPG (over open bed)
3.55 gears: Add 1.5 MPG
3.08 gears (no longer available): Add 2.5 MPG
4” front/6” rear slam (not available for 4x4): 1.0 MPG
203 degree stat (7.3 only): Add 0.5 MPG

So, if you have a Ford diesel, SC, SRW,4x4, automatic, big meats, and a 4”
lift you should expect (18.0-2.0-1.0-1.0-1.0) = 13.0 MPG
Margin of error: Plus or minus 2.0 MPG

There are occasional exceptional trucks. I know a guy in hilly Cincinnati, who drives his SC,SRW, 6-speed, 4x4, big tires & 6” lift and a flush cap loaded to the gunwales with work equipment and somehow gets 21 MPG. No, I don’t know how and neither does he. On the other hand, there is no shortage of guys on this board that get less than 11.0 MPG.

Yes, Dodges and Chevy diesel get a little better mileage. They are lighter than the comparable Ford truck and weight matter in MPG. The very common Fummins conversion gets about the same mileage as the International and Ford diesels.

So, if you get 11 MPG or less, maybe we can help. If you get over 22, we wanna hear what you’re doing right. But if your 4x4 automatic with the big tires is getting 14, please stow it. We’ve heard it all before.

·
loud and long
567 Posts
Cool write up

·
Low cash cowboy
380 Posts
ok thats good to know bout time we got a sticky thread for mpgs im at 15ish so guess i should be happy im in the middle.

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you want to do better?

·
Low cash cowboy
380 Posts
yes sir!!!

·
Low cash cowboy
380 Posts
even tho im getting 15 moneys very tight an im doin every thing i can to get good mpgs only thing i wont do is seal my truck an get a fukin priuse

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Getting about 10-12 , deffantly some room for improvement

·
Registered
338 Posts
You mentioned elsewhere that factory tow mirrors vs. paddle mirrors has a significant mpg effect. Can you please modify the original list to include the mirror option?

I'm liking the cost effectiveness of the tonneau cover. Not much else will get you 1.5 mpg for so cheap.

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I started a thread on this a while back. For me, the paddles got me a 1.0 MPG improvement over the TTs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good write up, I've been looking for something like this. I live in the Cincinnati area and get about 11 in the city. I just did a run down to NC and got 15.26 mpgs. I guess I should be happy with that since I should be getting 11mpgs on the highway according to the list above, but as always I would love to get better.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Note that the list above is for,

"One-third city/suburban, one-third, two-lane state roads, one-third Interstate driving. Flat terrain."

Freeway only should be much better than that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So is 15ish the, "much better"? What should I be getting for pure highway? And where do I start so I get, "much better"?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Good sticky!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice thread....I thought I was a little low on my MPG of the truck I bought a few months back, but looking at this, I think I'm about right. But I do need to look for ways to improve:

2004 Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, SuperDuty, Automatic, 4" lift, 37" tires.....all stock as far as I can tell powertrain-wise..............getting around 12MPG. Daily driving is mostly country roads with a bit of up/down hills mixed in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, I am Francois from Alberta, Canada, Hey! I just joined the group and it took some research to find a discussion group that was well moderated, where members were nice to each other, and on...

Thanks Sticky for posting the info about what kind of mileage we should get out of our trucks.

I have a 2009 F-350 Lariat purchased used last April. I am getting about 16 MPG, which seems to be good. From your advice, I will get a tonneau cover and get an extra 1.5 mpg... hopefully!

I recently visited an performance shop who recommended I perform the follwing three modifications to my truck to improve mileage:

1. Change air intake system
2. Add engine mgmt system (computer chip)
3. Remove the DPF from the exhaust system

All that at a cost of about 2K. Before I do anything, I would like to get some advice from other owners who have performed some or all of those modifications.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just got 15.8 driving from Detroit mi to Virginia beach va. Cruise all the way. Running no faster then 70. And no slower then 55. I find as long as I keep the rpm's at or below 2k and run steady at that speed I can consistently get 15 highway. As far as mods. They are in sig. Trucks an auto. Oh and this is hand calculated.

·
Registered
338 Posts
15.8 all freeway? That's it? With that little 6 liter engine I would be upset to not be near 20.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Haha. Yea. This is the only thing I don't like about the truck.

·
amxgilligan
16 Posts
What about a tuning chip ? I know most of them boast of 1-4 mpg improvements. What's your take ? Also, how much better are your stats strictly on the interstate vs. local, in town driving ?

amxgilligan
2004 F-250 Lariat SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.0 Stock

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Read all the stickies, boy.

Air intakes and chips don't help MPG. Maybe a chip MIGHT help an egregious fuel hog - when you have no place to go but up.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts