Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
chicken.....lol

lest you know it is done right ,well should be.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
you got that right, that is a no brainer there.

what shop is that?
seems like i saw a post a while back and his quote was 300+

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Hmm I like this howto, now if I just had a shop I trusted to use to do it :(

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Luckily I already own all the tools, and it looks like about an hours work, or so.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Is the nose of a PSD crank chamfered just a touch. A little work with some emory cloth and some WD-40 is usually all it takes on the balancers I have installed.

·
Registered
911 Posts
1) Buy Fluidampr/Melling LPOP (I recommend Dennis @ITP--he's good people)

2) Drive truck to shop

3) Drop off truck and a key, then take shuttle ride home.

I'll keep you all updated on how the rest of the install goes--if it's as smooth as the first 1/2, it should be pretty easy. ;)
I don't remember seeing those steps in my chilton's manual

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Is the nose of a PSD crank chamfered just a touch. A little work with some emory cloth and some WD-40 is usually all it takes on the balancers I have installed.
Yes, there is a SMALL chamfer to get the balancer started on the snout. The surface is generally fairly clean, but a little cleanup won't hurt them but try not to take too much off. Just a light pass with the emery cloth is plenty.

·
Canadian Powerstroker!
989 Posts
I wasn't scared to do the install myself but it just wasn't worth the hassle/expense to do so. I figured that I'd have to buy somewhere around $120 worth of tools (going the cheapest possible route, not Snap-On by any stretch) to do the install in my driveway (1/2" torque wrench and 3/8" torque wrench) but when the shop quoted me $130 in labor to do the install I couldn't say no. If I already had those tools, I'd be out in the driveway wrenching right now but since I didn't, off to the shop I went...
yea but if you buy the tools you can use them again. If you take it to the shop again you have to pay more for more installing you could have done yourself had you bought the tools in the first place. :pointlaugh:

·
Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts
yea but if you buy the tools you can use them again.
That's what I was thinking too. I see something like this as an opportunity to get more tools. :D I don't think I've ever bought a tool that I needed for a specific project that I didn't end up using again later on down the road.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
That's what I was thinking too. I see something like this as an opportunity to get more tools. :D I don't think I've ever bought a tool that I needed for a specific project that I didn't end up using again later on down the road.
I agree. Except for the idle & mixture adjustment tool I got for my '84 Suburban.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I agree. Except for the idle & mixture adjustment tool I got for my '84 Suburban.
I have that same tool. I think, I haven't seen it in a while.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I learned to buy the best I can afford now, and get what I really want later. I have one box that is full of old cheapy tools that I can use if I need a custom grind on it or somethink like that.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
I have 3 sets of tools.

One has my best stuff, hidden and or locked up.

Two has my medium stuff, that is also mostly hidden to stop my friends from borrowing them.

Three has my wally world tools my kids use, this one is restocked monthly :D

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Just a local shop here in town--one of the people I work with recommended them and after a good experience with them doing my brakes a couple of weeks ago I went back for the damper/LPOP work.

That $300+ quote was also from a shop here in town, albeit one that's considerably prouder of their work than the place I went to today.
He forgot to mention the "Proud" shop is the Local BANKS Dealer!!! They are VERY PROUD of their WORK and their SLOW BANKS TRUCKS!!!!

What shop did u take it to JV?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
so how do you like your new stuff,
notice any difference,
was it big, or small

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,067 Posts
Sounds good. It would have been interesting to have a before/after video for comparison. I have contimplated getting one for my truck. Any difference in throttle response?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
From everything I have been told and understand, it is one of those things you do for smooth, not so much for power. If you make a lot of power, smooth is a lot better. To me smooth is a lot better anywhere. Balance is good. I remember balancing piston and rod assemblies with a triple beam and a set of files (before moto tool).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts