Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bough this truck about a month ago, it had 35 12.5 18 General Grabbers. Pretty new. The truck has a 2 inch leveling kit and the steering drag link bar is bent. I had an alignment done and it steers well. Anyway, it sounds as if the power steering pump is whining every time I turn, and the steering is almost difficult at a stop.. I just swapped wheels with a friend. These are Toyo open country 285 75 20s I believe. They have a -12 offset. Now the steering is even more difficult and it honestly feels like the breaks are weak. Should I be concerned over the break booster or the power steering pump or both??
Thanks in advance.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
See if it's low on fluid, if it's not, replace the pump.

Bigger wheels will exacerbate the problem, so get used to weak power steering if you're going to keep the wheels. But it shouldn't whine.

·
Project Shamu
2,799 Posts
Whining is either low fluid or pump damage.

Stiff steering is almost always tires, but could also be from pump damage causing low pressure or insufficient flow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the tires I just installed are technically 2 inches smaller around, but they stick out farther than what I had. Fluid is full.

·
Project Shamu
2,799 Posts
The tires sticking out 2" further is causing you to "scrub" your tires when you turn, because of what's called your "KIA" or "Kingpin Inclination Angle", which is an imaginary line through both ball joints and where that line intersects the ground. Ideally you want that intersection point as close as possible to the center of your tire, because that's where the tire is going to pivot on as it turns. The further away the tire sits from that intersection point, the more the tire is going to "scrub" and be more difficult.

You can Google some more info on KIA, or Scrub radius, Ackerman angles, etc, and learn a great deal on suspension geometry.

·
Native Texan
9,051 Posts
If It don't stop treating to put it in time out that should make the whining stop. either that or give it some wacky weed sbluke can hook u up.

I was born into Gobernment health care. And will die in Gobernment Health care. God Bless Our Military Men And Women.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts