Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel has a wobble to it moves in all directions like a bushing or bearing is out. Any idea on how much this costs to repair? Or where can I get a new aftermarket steering wheel?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
It's not the wheel it's the column moving due to bad bearings. It isn't expensive but it is time consuming.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I know! I've taken it apart once to get check my ignition actuator. I'm lookin for a new wheel since this stock wheel frustrates me since it is suck a pain to pull it off an since I've been working on the column an steering soo much I've grown real irritated with it...

·
Registered
300 Posts
You should just leave it off then...:poke:

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did have a 2x4 on the column for a while with a couple of pegs for steering, idk sometimes I just like to pretend im a captian of a ship...

beyond sarcasm... anyone have an aftermarket wheel on?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The problem with an aftermarket wheel is that if you have cruise control you will lose it. Even if you switch to an aftermarket wheel you will still have to go through the same process as with the stock wheel when working on the column. I think the only thing you might find that would be fast to remove is a racing wheel in which case you lose your horn unless you rewire it to a button some where else on the dash or column.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well summit has the grant wheels an such that have a horn for like $110 plus shipping... Im not motivated to spend that for a quick removable wheel.
where can I find the steering column repair kit, rockauto.com doesnt even know what it is.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
A grant wheel is not a quick removal wheel. They are just an aftermarket steering wheel company. You still have to buy a hub kit to use with their wheels that is specific for your vehicle. A quick release wheel is what is found in real race cars. It has a quick coupling like an air hose sort of. You pull back on a tab and the wheel comes off in your hands. I believe that you have to purchase seperate bearings and such in order to fix it. Another option is to find a place that sells rebuilt steering columns. I have seen them on ebay or you could try car-part.com. That is a used parts online search engine. You are probably looking at around 150-250 for a rebuilt column. You could also do a search on here for steering column fix and it should bring up tons of threads about it.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good to go, oh an btw when I say quick removal steering wheel Im refering to a wheel that is 'easier' to remove than my wheel that has to be removed with a semi truck wheel puller, which i do not own...

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
A regular steeing wheel puller works just fine. I have had mine off before.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wheel isnt drilled for the bolts that come with the 'normal' pullers, idk if this was a factory mistake or what, but ive always have to use 'hooks' to pull my wheel, however I will be drillin the wheel an modifying it to accept the normal pullers.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Don't know if they are metric or what but the average hardware store sells bolts that work with a puller. Worked for me.

The Ford dealer still sells the steering column repair kits.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wheel literally never came tapped with holes to accept SAE or Metric bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts