Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have swapped in a later model steering wheel, (super duty, mustang, explorer, etc,) how did you mount the clock spring to the obs column in order to keep the cruise control switches functional? I’ve got a line on an explorer wheel and column, but not sure how to make the clock spring work without swapping the entire column.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The core of the column is the same shape, so you can either swap the whole column or just pieces. But there ARE some subtle differences - there are at least 3 shapes for the shaft where the steering wheel mates up, so it's best to keep the wheel on the column it came with. I like ~'02 Expedition/Navigator columns.

1993 Ford F-250 Tina picture | SuperMotors.net

Reactions: CANXLs

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The core of the column is the same shape, so you can either swap the whole column or just pieces. But there ARE some subtle differences - there are at least 3 shapes for the shaft where the steering wheel mates up, so it's best to keep the wheel on the column it came with. I like ~'02 Expedition/Navigator columns.

1993 Ford F-250 Tina picture | SuperMotors.net

The problem I’m having is finding a wheel with the correct clockspring. Newer ones bolt the CS to the column. I think the explorer/expedition has the uncut spline in the correct location for the obs.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Bolted or clipped - the clock spring will still fit the column. And if its index on the center shaft is wrong, just file/grind/drill/dremel it out. It'll follow the wheel because of the wires that come through. One of mine is done that way.

(click this text)

Reactions: CANXLs

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bolted or clipped - the clock spring will still fit the column. And if its index on the center shaft is wrong, just file/grind/drill/dremel it out. It'll follow the wheel because of the wires that come through. One of mine is done that way.

(click this text)
thank you. That’s what I needed. I’ll see how the explorer wheel looks when it gets here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts