Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 CCSB and the other day while driving up the highway going into a slight left curve the steering wheel felt like the power steering wasn't working for a second or two as I was driving out of the curve. This has happened about 6 more times since then. It is only when turning the wheel to the left and it has happened at highway speeds as well as city driving. I did find a bad tie rod end and replaced it but problem is still there. Any ideas?

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
Could be your power steering pump going bad. Have you ever changed the fluid in it, I rarely ever do, but it should be done if the fluid is looking burnt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that could be the problem, but then I thought that if it was the pump it would happen when turning right or left. This is only happening on left turns. Thanks for the reply...

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
I had the same issue on my Sonoma about 4 years ago. Only stuck to on side. That's the only reason I suggested it.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I would imagine if the pump was going bad you would notice it being much harder to steer when at slow speeds and honestly not even notice it at all at highway speeds.

A long shot, but my dads truck had a kinked steering stabilizer (truck got beat on daily for excavating work) and it would have a slight "hard spot" usually would only feel it when straightening out the wheel and not soo much when turning into a corner

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
Hey, that's a good idea.:whs:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have identical truck and same thing happened to me last year. Bad ball joints was my issue, didn't move up and down when I checked them but with tirod end off wheel was hard to turn left and right that was at 130,000 miles just a thought if you haven't checked it already.

·
Registered
16 Posts
front akle ujoints are stuck raise the front end and engage hubs and turn the wheel need to grease ujoints wont help now replaced 6 last week

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have owned the truck for 2 years. Nothing has been done to the front end since I purchased it except for the tie-rod end that I found when this problem started. Front end gets greased every 2500 mile because I change oil every 5000 mile and think 5000 mile is to long between grease jobs. I could be wrong, but good oil and grease makes things last longer. The truck does not get abused. It is a daily driver to work and in the summer months I pull a 29' camper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, There is no lift. I did rotate the tires today due to getting the front end aligned tomorrow. The axle universal joints checked out OK. Here is another thing that I found, the hub on the left side of the truck I could not move from auto. The hub on the right side I got to move but had to use a set of pliers and it still is very hard to turn from auto to lock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
front akle ujoints are stuck raise the front end and engage hubs and turn the wheel need to grease ujoints wont help now replaced 6 last week
i had the same problem a few weeks ago only mine was the right side. new u joints ,no problems since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the truck in for the wheel alignment. Mentioned my problem about the wheel sticking to him and he said everything checked out OK. He did say that it was toed-in slightly and he straightened the steering wheel. I was a little off when I replaced the tie-rod end last week. I also mentioned the hub situation to him and he had that fixed in about 30 seconds. Sprayed penetrating oil around plastic part that you turn from Auto to Lock. He said the gasket gets dry and that is what makes them hard to move. Made my day. As for the sticking wheel, it has not happened since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts