Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please go outside and check for me, how many rotations the steering wheel goes in either direction to lock, with the wheels initially centered? I'm in the middle of replacing my gearbox, and I believe I got my box off center while tightening the nut for the pitman arm. Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
pitman arm should only go one in one position due to the spline pattern

or thats not what your referring to ?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the pitman arm on right, just when I was tightening down on the nut that holds the pitman arm, I spun the gear box, causing it to not be centered anymore. I'm just wondering how many rotations, in either direction, the steering wheel should turn until it gets all the way to the left or right.

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
why does it matter ?

put your drag link on where it fits by turning the box that will dictate where the box was when u pulled it apart and should be correct

you have your steering wheel on?

you can count and spin the box lock to lock without the drag link and then find center then center the tires and adjust the drag link to fit that would be centered also

not trying to complicate things i would go do what your asking but I don't have the same truck do that for you

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes my steering wheel is on. I would just turn the box until the pitman arm lined up with the drag link, but with how much play I had before, my adjusting sleeve is not set correct for a box with no play. I replaced the sleeve a few months ago, while I had all the play in the box, so it was set to have the steering wheel centered on one side of the play. I easily had 45 deg play in the old box. But I guess if I did go that route, it really shouldn't be that far off. I might just spin it myself and see how many rotations I have in either direction and Set it the best I can from there.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You're over thinking things. Put it back together except for the steering input shaft, Center the wheels by hand, center the steering wheel and reattach the input shaft.

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
Agreed
get it all bolted together and use the "adjusting sleeve" on the drag link to center the steering wheel and you should be fine

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thinking back on it now, the distance that I rotated the shaft when tightening the nut, is almost identical to the distance that I would need to turn the wheel too line it up with the drag link. I've got everything hooked back up already, all that's left to do tomorrow is hook the pitman arm up to the drag link, bleed the system, then I'll be done. I can't wait to try the new box out, I could already tell a huge difference just when I was trying to line then drag link back up. Thanks

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As of now, the truck is still down. I went to ford to get orings for the two lines, cause I didn't see any old ones on there, and apparently they gave me the wrong thing. They gave me the Teflon seals, and what I'm finding out now is that your supposed to use those with the orings, and the the Teflon seals hold the oring in place? Either way, I tried reassembling for the hell of it, and was gushing fluid out.

I called Bob at diesel orings, and he didn't have the seals, so I called redhead. After being on hold for a quick minute, they came back to the phone asking for my address and they were shipping them to me free of charge. Props go to redhead for that one.

Does anyone have a picture of how the oring and Teflon seal sits? Or could you atleast describe it to me? Looking at the lines, I just couldn't picture how the both of them would go. Thanks

Update:

Approximate Dimensions of the Teflon seal are:

Inner diameter: 0.52 in
Outer diameter: 0.60 in

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm very surprised the Redhead didn't come with the o-rings.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got the orings in today and got everything back together now with no leaks. I'm not too sure what it is that ford gave me, as those seals are WAY too large. And wow, this new gear box feels great compared to the old one. I can't wait to tow with this for the first time. I've noticed turning the wheel to the left is slightly tighter than to the right, is it possible that I still have some air in the system?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts