Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was turning left the other day and my steering wheel locked up so i jerked on it to keep from hittin a guard rail and now my steering wheel moves all over te place up down and left to right. any ideas on what broke of if i need a whole new column

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Steering column repair kit available at the dealer.

·
Registered
853 Posts
:whs: sounds like the bearings on the steering shaft have come unglued..if you have the tilt column its a bear to fix.those tilt springs are stiff. fixed column is alot more easy..

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
i had a similar problem with my 97 and the bearings were totaly gone and the u-joint in the tilt assembly was catching on the aluminum cast part. i had to put a new shaft as well as all new bearings in and it is a task on trucks with tilt wheel.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so would it be easier for me to buy a whole column and replace it? since it IS tilt wheel

·
Registered
853 Posts
it would be easier yes.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
:whs: It's not a bad job with an extra set of hands. If you have the ability to do it then I would get the repair kit since it is much cheaper than a new column.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the next question is, do you have any ideas on h ow to get the steering wheel off? i put my steering wheel puller on it and the bolts pulled out of the threads and i tapped them so many time that they wont make new threads now

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
This is not a method you will find in any book but it will work. Put the nut back on the stud coming through the steering wheel until it is just flush with the top of the stud. While pulling toward yourself with a decent amount of force, smack the nut/stud with a good sized hammer. It will come off but may take a few smacks. Doing it with the nut on it prevents you from damaging threads on the stud or from eating the steering wheel when it comes flying off.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I've only done one column rebuild and pulled 2 wheels, but both of those came off with just some pulling and wiggling by me, and I'm a pretty small guy.

This is assuming you've removed the center bolt, correct? I know it sounds dumb, but I've seen it be missed, with much yanking and pulling, so I have to ask. ;)

Dave

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Have you been able to get the wheel off? I rebuilt mine last summer and I would be willing to help any way i can. I rebuilt mine because i couldnt find a good one in a wrecking yard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts