Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so randomly ill come around a corner and the wheel will violently turn back and forth like a wheel is falling off. ill pull over and stop and then go and it will normally stop or you can feel it slightly pull left then right and just keep going back and forth then go away all together. any ideas?
thanks bob

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just another idea, possibly wheel bearing. I didn't notice it so much turning but rather going straight it would just decide to turn a bit then back then quit. You can check that by lifting the front end up and grab the top and bottom of the tire and try rocking it back and forth.

·
blame the dog..
1,945 Posts
alright so randomly ill come around a corner and the wheel will violently turn back and forth like a wheel is falling off. ill pull over and stop and then go and it will normally stop or you can feel it slightly pull left then right and just keep going back and forth then go away all together. any ideas?
thanks bob
IF 4wd, axle joints
if NOT 4wd, I want to know what the caster angle was, and the side-to-side split, the last time you had the front end aligned..

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I would jack it up and check everything over, taking a close look at the tie-rods and trackbar bushings.

Dave

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Steering box is only about $150 at advance auto

·
blame the dog..
1,945 Posts
before you change the steering gear, do this:
jack up the front end, knock the tie rod ends off the knuckles.
line the axle joints straight.. try to turn the knuckles
spin the driveshafts 90 deg and try to turn the knuckles again

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^^ What he said. I will put my money on the seized ujoints.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ What he said. I will put my money on the seized ujoints.
you are correct sir... i havnt been on here in a while but pulled it apart the other night left side was seized and right was beat. so all new seals and u-joints also the dampener was smoked so changed that.

my question now it are these wheel bearing serviceable or do you have to change the entire hub?

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Id change the hub. The inner race is servicable but if its bad the wheel bearing isnt that far off. If its the wheel bearing itself then you definitely have to change the hub.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I suggest changing the whole hub as well.

Also if you do ever need a steering gear box I would stay away from all the ones sold at auto parts stores. They are a crap shoot at best. Its more costly but check out Redhead steering gear. It does not sound like that is your issue though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts