Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck started pulling from one side of the road to the other after a hard turn. I mean a hard in town turn not highway speed turn. It would keep this up untill I stopped the truck. After that it would be back to usual. It comes and goes. I had the wife turn the wheel back and forth and the link at the top of the dragling had some play. I replaced that and the steering is a bit tighter but still has the same problem. Whats the proper way to adjust the stering box? Any ideas on what could cause this. I plan on lifting the front end today and checking the balljoints, spring bushings, u-bolts, torque rod bushings, and all the steering components.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad bushing in the trackbar. The proper adjustment for the steering box is to lift the front end off the ground, then take a 13 or 14 mm (can't remember off hand) wrench and loosen the locknut on top of the sector shaft on the top of the steering box. Back off the nut several turns while holding the adjustment screw in place. The screw is either 5/16 or 6mm. Then tighten the adjustment screw clockwise until it gets snug, then back it off a quarter turn. Then while holding the screw in position tighten the locknut down. If the steering doesn't return to center after making a turn then back off the adjustment screw in eigth turn increments until the steering returns to center naturally.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will try that. I haven't had a chance to go over it yet. Hopefully I will tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts