2001 F250
33inch tires
Replaced so far
All tie rods
Ball Joints
Brakes
Steering Box and Arm
steering stabilizer

After getting alignment done they said my left side was about 20 PSI low. I drove it home (maybe 10 miles) and it seemed to drive fine. I drove it to work and it drove like crap (I'll explain in a min), I took the rims/tires off and had a shop put new valves stems in. Fixed leak, seemed to fix steering.

Well I just put some miles on it and it drives like crap again!!!!! (tires are fine)

It seems to be slow repsonding at about 11 oclock and 1 oclock.
It drives straight down the road if I let go of the wheel, and it does not seem to pull when I hit bumps. (it used too before I replaced the tie rods)

Lets say I take a right turn.
I turn - I let the steering wheel go back to center, I then have to turn left slightly and it takes a half second of so to respond.
Example 2.
If Im going down the highway and I start to drift over to the white line I then slowly (like a normal driver) pull the wheel to the left to straighten my self up, but then I have to turn it back to the right a little.....(So its drift right, turn slightly left then slightly right to center my self back)

This was a real treat with the trailer:eek:

When I took the wheels off to get fix I put the frame on jacks and let the axle sag, I was standing and jumping on the axle and it was not moving.

When I drive a car now it about makes the passengers sick because I am used to driving my truck like this.......I thought I had the issue fixed, but guess not!!!!:mad:

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe a Power steering leak?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It sounds like you have play in the center of the wheel, between 11 and 1. How old is the steering box and who did you get it from?

·
Ya Boy, Fish and Chicken!
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you have play in the center of the wheel, between 11 and 1. How old is the steering box and who did you get it from?
It has maybe 15k miles on it. Got it from Napa, which is the same box, O'rielys and advance use.

It feels right compared to the old box

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I am thinking play since you are describing that it is slow to react. I have had crap luck with boxes. I am on my 3rd rebuild and this one is not right either. Both of the other ones got loose after 5k miles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a similar problem with my truck. It started out that when I turned a corner it was kind of stiff when I turned the wheel but it didn't do it all the time. Then it started to pull to one side when going straight down the road. Not fun. It turned out to be one of the u joints in the front axle was frozen.replaced them a few days ago and it handles great.

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
Maybe the sector mesh is set a little too tight? Gives a stuck spot at straight driving causing constant correction.

·
Registered
842 Posts
or the ball joints are too tight and are hanging and taking more force to turn and they will hold a little and cause your drift

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is how things went down

Replaced ball joints = Not much happened, but the clunking feeling went away (replaced at 70k)
Outter Tie Rods = Replaced at 72k and felt a little better
Steering Box replaced at 75k - Felt ALOT better, but not perfect
Replaced inner tie rods, stabilizer and had a alignment at 88k (only 89k on the truck)
It felt 100xs better so I thought it was fixed until I started driving it more again......Glad I didn't sell it!:eek:

It seems to turn right better then left? Just feels weird.

My hubs are unlocked so the u joint shouldn't have anything to do with it correct?

When you say "sector mesh" you mean the allen bolt and nut on top of the box? I can try adjusting that and see what happens.

How would I install the Ball joints too tight? If they where tight it seems like it would do it all the time

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ujoints have to flex and turn locked or unlocked think about it.
You also may want to check stabalizer they can devolope hard spots which will cause you to over correct.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ujoints have to flex and turn locked or unlocked think about it.
You also may want to check stabalizer they can devolope hard spots which will cause you to over correct.
true, hmmm I have never replaced them. But I didn't think they would do anything to my steering since its not locked to the hub.....maybe I am thinking about it wrong.

I think I am going to hook up my helmet cam to it and see what is going on under there truck

·
Registered
745 Posts
The Ujoints are ther so you can steer the truck. If you have a stiif joint it most certainly will efect steering. It still has to flex at the joint to be able to steer. I dont think the cam will tell you anything. But it would be interesting to see.

Locked or unlocked the joint has to flex. If it did not you would just need a strait axel going strait into the hub no need for a joint. Think about that.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Ujoints are ther so you can steer the truck. If you have a stiif joint it most certainly will efect steering. It still has to flex at the joint to be able to steer. I dont think the cam will tell you anything. But it would be interesting to see.

Locked or unlocked the joint has to flex. If it did not you would just need a strait axel going strait into the hub no need for a joint. Think about that.
Ya your right....Needed my morning coffee:doh:

Ill take a look, thanks!:poke:

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
You can also raise the caster during the alignment to help improve this condition. Do you have the alignment specs they set them to?

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can also raise the caster during the alignment to help improve this condition. Do you have the alignment specs they set them to?
I can probably get them...they had the paper in front of me but I can not remember

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
If you adjust the sector,(yes the Allen screw w/ locknut) mark the original orientation in case this is not your problem, and just back it out about 1/8 of a turn. A loose sector will give you slight play, and a tight one will make every minor drive down the road correction stick. Touchy adjustment to get just right.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyway to check the drag link?

Im going to play around with the steering box.

Good thing It didn't sell lol. I had someone test drive it and they said it drove goodLOL:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts