Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
FORD RULES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a 08' f-250 w/a 6" procomp lift stage II w/fox resevoirs all the way around, dual shock hoop kit in the front, dual steering stabilizers. Im riding on toyo mt's, 37x13.50R24's, and i can't turn my tires for the life of me unless im moving a couple miles an hour. It turns ok if ive got a little speed, but if i try to turn into a parking spot from a dead stop and no room to pick up a little rpm.......forget about it, I have to pry on the steering wheel in stages and i probably wont make it in there anyways without backing up a couple times, which is just as hard to turn in reverse. So I'm just wondering if you have had the same issues??? I see some guys on here have the same lift or similar setups, so i'm hoping to get some feedback on what everyone else is experiencing. I understand i have huge tires, but i'm thinking it's a procomp design issue? Cuz I've got co-workers running tires & wheels just as big and can turn just fine whenever they want. So if any of you have a chance to get back to me i'd really appreciate it, thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: 2008-2010 suspension/wheel and tire thread

Look into hydro-assist steering if you want to turn your tires without moving. Guys with large tires use them in the off-road world and hydro-assist is street legal.

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts

Look into hydro-assist steering if you want to turn your tires without moving. Guys with large tires use them in the off-road world and hydro-assist is street legal.

ive been thinking of it...how much does that run$?

·
FORD RULES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ok, thanks for everyone's input. I have looked into hydro assist, and have been quoted $400, before freight, by a couple different companies, so i might go that route. I did remove one of the stabalizer shocks and that made a world of difference.....still a bit hard to turn at times, but way easier than it used to be. So if i want my dual setup, i will need hydro assist.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts

before you do that try some of the BG powersteering aditive, it worked wonders on my 02, you need to drain just a little of the powersteering fluid out and then add the stuff, my 02 wouldnt even turn 35s sitting still and then after i did that it would turn them pretty easy. might be worth a shot before you spend 500 on the assist

·
FORD RULES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Really? Well ok, great.........i'll definitely give that additive a try first. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks for the help.

·
FORD RULES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hey, i went to BG Products website for that power steering additive and saw that they have a couple different things.........which one did you use on your 2002? Was it the: 'quick clean', 'conditioner', or 'power clean'?

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts

conditioner, i think its like a green can

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I thought I read once that there was a bulletin from Ford about early pumps and problems just like this.

·
FORD RULES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good deal. I priced some out at our Ford dealership here, and it's only around $8.00 for the conditioner, so i'll give that a whirl. Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Definitely let us know how that goes!! I've got the same issue. 2008 f250 with Pro-comp 6" lift, 35x13.5's. Can't budge the wheels while sitting still since brand new! gotta roll a bit to turn em.

·
FORD RULES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way, that paint job looks awesome! Got any more pics of ur truck? I need to get some of mine on here as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just have a single stabilizer. Yes, I have better pics i want to get on here too. I'm on vaca up in PA but i got a couple good pics with the boat (Triton 351 center console behind her) at home on my PC.

sorry:eek:fftopic

·
FORD RULES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice. See i originally had their basic dual stabilizer on their, but i could not turn the beast unless i was going a couple mile an hour.....it was a nightmare to park. So i took one of the stabilizers off, and it is tons easier to turn. Still pretty stiff at times and i definitely can't turn the tires without moving, but it is tolerable now for sure. I don't know what i'll do? I might try a different brand and see if their dual stabilizer kit is better? We'll see.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey BrownBear, did that power steering conditioner work out for you or not?

·
FORD RULES
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be honest, i actually haven't tried it yet. I know i just need to get around to ordering some, i've just been pre-occupied. I will definitley give you a headsup when i try it and let you know what happens.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
its most likely due to the weight of the new wheels and tires. would not surprise me if it was also caused by a bad pro comp designed lift.
Seconded^..superlift makes, or at least made, some good lifts back in the day but their 'solution' for those 'pesky' ford steering problems exacerbated by lifting suspensions sucked ball$...I bet by the time people figured that out they didnt care at 800bucks a pop...I tried putting a pro-comp lift on my 95 Tacoma SR5 and boxed it up and sent it back due to poor design and fitment...I thought it was the wrong lift...

I know they are the dinosaur but Skyjacker has always fixed or helped me fix any shortcomings of other lifts I bought even from other manufacturers. The fact that my 6" on my 2000 cc/sb has nearly 225k miles on it is a testament to their product...to keep this on topic, I can turn my steering wheel, while motionless, with one finger. Im wearing 37x13.5's too...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts