Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"Strokin"
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I went to drive my truck and whenever I turn my steering wheel a grinding/clicking noise comes from the steering column (sometimes it even sqeeeks really bad). Also my steering wheel is significantly harder to turn. I was wondering if there is a bearing that when bad in my steering column or something. :( Thanks for any help, Justin;)

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
It is only going to get worse!! The upper bearings will wear out, probaly breaking the clock spring. There are also middle & lower bearings in the column shaft. The columns can be rebuilt, be purchased rebuilt, or a used low mileage from yards.
I have seen this problem a lot, but usually on trucks with well over 200,000 miles.

·
"Strokin"
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulling up a old thread! lol.. Well JFRNER77 you were definatly right after only a few weeks the whole steering column is falling apart :( My key is hard to turn, blinker doesnt stay clicked on, have plastic parts falling out, horn keeps honking itself lol.. So its definatly trash!! My question is now I have a few good junkyards around me, are they hard to remove/ install? also would I just be better buying a reman/new steering column? Thanks again, Justin

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Pretty darn easy to remove and install. If you have an auto just remember to disconnect the little white cable that attaches to the column for the gear indicator. As far as which way to go reman vs junk yard all depends on what the junk yard is asking. I have seen remans on ebay for as low as 175. thats a good deal in my opinion when the other option is not being able to drive your truck.

·
"Strokin"
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well im on the lookout for one now.. Would a column out of a f150 work? I really love the look of those steering wheels much better than the 250 & 350 steering wheels. I know the airbag would obviously not work but besides that would it fit?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Yes it will fit with no roblem and will be a direct plug in. The 97 F-150 column will not work however due to the redesign of the truck just so you know that.

·
"Strokin"
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it will fit with no roblem and will be a direct plug in. The 97 F-150 column will not work however due to the redesign of the truck just so you know that.
Awesome! I am definatly going to try and get one out of a 93-96 f150. What about the airbag tho...? Does it have a separate wire harness that I just wont plug in or how does that work??

·
"Strokin"
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a separate harness for the air bag, yellow connectors, that just wouldnt be used in your application
Awesome! I am so excited lol. I really love the look of the steering wheels in the 150's soooo much better, the 250 steering wheels are just plain ugly if you ask me :eek:.. has anyone ever put a 150 column in there 250 or 350?? Are you guys sure EVERYTHING fits?? I just wanna make 100% sure before I buy one! :confused:

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I am absolutely positive it fits. It is a direct plug in install. As stated above the only harness you won't use is for the airbag. Thanks now im gonna have to go hunt down a 150 steering wheel. lol.

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
Ok well im on the lookout for one now.. Would a column out of a f150 work? I really love the look of those steering wheels much better than the 250 & 350 steering wheels. I know the airbag would obviously not work but besides that would it fit?
Any OBS F150-F350 column will bolt in. If it comes out of a diesel truck, no worries, you can even swap your original ignition lock. If it come out of GAS truck, you will have to splice the electrical harness and will need the KEY for that column. The diesel and gas ignition locks do not interchange.

·
PSD
958 Posts
When i converted my truck to automatic i scored a Auto steering coloum for $75 for sale locally. It was out of a 93 F150 5.0L. Bolted right in to my truck. I swaped the ignition assembly (takes 2 seconds if you have the keys), pugged in the electircal connectors and started right up.

to take the ignition out from the steering coloum you first turn the key to on. and look under the steering coloum. you will see a 1/4" hole going straight towards the igntion lock assembly. (not one of the holes for the screws that keep the plastic trim around the steering coloum) Then grab a long and fairly narrow screw driver and push it up in that hole... theres a little button you have to push up. then pull on they key and it should pop out.

Heres a vid i found of the process. It works for your truck, as with many ford viehicles too.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
As CNDiesel said the ignition switches are the exact same part. That is direct plug in. To retain your ignition key you have two options as also stated above. You either get a column with the key making it a two second job or you use a drill and a sharp bit and make it a ten minute job. Other than that as stated several times before it is a direct bolt/plug in ordeal.

·
"Strokin"
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GREAT guys thanks for all the help. I believe im getting a column out of a 96 f150 the steering wheel looks BRAND NEW :) I am getting the key with it, but what am I going to have to do with splicing wires for the ignition? Sense it came out of a gas truck....?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I will repeat myself. There is absolutely no wire splicing at all. It is a direct plug in. Unplug and unbolt your column and bolt in and plug in your new column. Then turn the key forward to the run position with the old key and pull outward to the side and remove the ignition cylinder lock assembly. Do the same on your old column and then insert the cylinder lock assembly in the new column.

·
"Strokin"
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it come out of GAS truck, you will have to splice the electrical harness and will need the KEY for that column. The diesel and gas ignition locks do not interchange.
That is why I asked that question speeddemon....:cool:

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Well I didn't notice that post and that info is not correct. The columns are identical in every way. It would have cost Ford a fortune to retool just for the diesel trucks to change the configuration. It is all bolt and plug in.

·
"Strokin"
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I didn't notice that post and that info is not correct. The columns are identical in every way. It would have cost Ford a fortune to retool just for the diesel trucks to change the configuration. It is all bolt and plug in.
Yup that's exactly what I thought! Sorry I kept challenging your answers lol:(. I am getting the column tomorrow I will let you all know how it goes! Thanks for all the help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts