Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just the other day I noticed a clunking coming from my steering box. It only happens at low speeds or while I'm parked and move the wheel back and forth. What could this be and is there an easy fix?

Thanks Cory

·
Word
608 Posts
That's weird because I noticed mine doing the same thing the other day, my friend says there's no fix for this, he said we could try and adjust the the steering box gear a little tighter but usually the box needs to be replaced. he says the noise is just a worn spot in the worm gear assembly.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
If you tighten it too much it won't want to return to center. Do you see the sector shaft moving in the housing or do you just feel play in the steering shaft?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Are you shure its the steering box and not the track bar bushing right next to it?

·
Word
608 Posts
I haven't personally looked to see if the sector shaft is moving slightly inside the housing when turning the steering wheel, but the steering wheel does have some play in it... it only makes this noise when turning the steering wheel about 1/2 turn from side to side. I know not to tighten it to much because not only will it not return to center but it will wear your worm gear assembly out FAST !!! It was making this noise before I replaced my track bar and everything else..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts