Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering gear box feels really loose and I would like to know if there is way for me to tighten the gear so I don’t have to replace it. My tie rods are also really loose but I’m replacing them soon

·
Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
3,480 Posts
What He Said ^^^^

When you say your steering gear box feels loose, what does that mean?

Too much play in the steering wheel?

Get all the rest of it tightened up first. Last thing to do is the steering gear box.

After all the rest is fixed, then see if it is loose. Have someone sit in the truck, engine off. Have them run the steering wheel back and forth, as far as they can without moving the wheels.

Observe the Pittman arm. If the column is moving and the Pittman arm is not, cry.

I recommend Blue top.

·
Registered
873 Posts
No, the steering box adjustment is ONLY for assembly - not for wear. If you eventually find that the box is worn...

Reactions: Hendy

·
Registered
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What He Said ^^^^

When you say your steering gear box feels loose, what does that mean?

Too much play in the steering wheel?

Get all the rest of it tightened up first. Last thing to do is the steering gear box.

After all the rest is fixed, then see if it is loose. Have someone sit in the truck, engine off. Have them run the steering wheel back and forth, as far as they can without moving the wheels.

Observe the Pittman arm. If the column is moving and the Pittman arm is not, cry.

I recommend Blue top.
The steering is super loose so I was thinking maybe I could just tighten the gear box up and be done with it but it seems like that won’t be an option, I’ll buy the tie rods and replace them to see if there is any improvement

·
Premium Member
3,480 Posts
Don't forget to jack it up and check your ball joints. My 2000 was lifted and it just wrecked the front end.

·
Registered
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the ball joints a couple months ago and they were ok, and the shop it was just at also checked them and they are still fine for now

Reactions: Jax

·
Premium Member
3,480 Posts
Good show!

After I removed the lift kit and replaced all the "easy" stuff (rod ends, linkages, bushings), I took it in for an alignment and the ball joints were toast!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those boxes were designed to be adjusted/tightened as they wear. If it's off the truck you want to tighten till you feel slight input resistance as you as you turn across center. They can be tightened on the truck, but over tightening will cause lack of steering feed back and tend to stay in a slight turn and not return to center.

·
Registered
873 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
OBS steering gear is set at factory or rebuilder. The “adjustment” set screw is not to be messed with. If tightened it can shear sector shaft gears internally. Was just given keeerap for the fore noted by a quality rebuilder in June of this year. He showed me some sector gears with sheared teeth causing failure….
First check other components, tie rod ends, mid steering shaft, ball joints, spring hanger bushings, track bar ends (and replace worn items) then purchase a Borgeson mid steering shaft as the Ford ones are junk. In Canada West Coast area I use Steering Solutions, they make a nice low tolerance steering gear.
Cheers

Reactions: Hendy
1 - 11 of 11 Posts