Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
E99 F250 superduty 2wd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new on here not new working on diesel trucks. This however has me stomped.
First off the list of everything i have done and replaced with new:
Injector O-rings
Injector sleeves
Glow plugs
Valve covers gasket and Harness
IPR
ICP
IDM
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Change the oil and filter
New Batteries
New Radiator
Coolant
water pump
New serpentine belt
New serpentine belt idle pulley
New serpentine belt tensioner

Now i know not all of this is what keeping my truck from running, alot of it has to do with some up keep that i have been letting slide until i could afford it. Biden and my new job seen to my trucks come back.lol
The truck will crank while cold and run with like a slight partial miss, as if one injector isnt firing 100% i know i have to pull those again and rebuild them. But what gets me is the one bank shuts off and runs like craps. you can cut the truck off, start it right back up, it will fire off, idle right to like 5sec, than go to rough idle. Its all hot at this time.

What am i missing?
Did i get a bad IDM?
Injectors dont just fire off and idle than run like ****.
all sensors that was used are motorcraft or international no cheap **** was used
i dont have a scanner so im only going by symptoms of the truck to diagnose and fix the problem.

·
Registered
E99 F250 superduty 2wd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update: i have pulled the PCM and cleaned the connection where my programmer was plugged into.
I have cranked the truck and while it was running pulled the plug on the driver side head and nothing changes of the rough idle. i plugged it back in. than i pulled the passenger side head and it kills the truck. im lossing only driver side injectors. I let it sit for a min to cool off, started truck and it ran fine with all 8 injectors, after a 10 mins of idle i lose the driver side again.
This symptom lead me to believe that it was the IDM. That is why i changed it out. Is it possible that a new IDM can be bad? Or am i missing something?

·
Registered
E99 F250 superduty 2wd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
04/05/2021 UPDATE:
I had a scanner put on my truck. with all the testing i have done to it, serval things popped up that could be my issue.
1. IDM is bad. ( I purchased new)
2. The wiring harness was bad
3. injector 8 and 2 both on the bank i was having issue with.

I pulled my wire harness. I began removing all tape and plastic covering to inspect wires for necks and cranked insulation. Found that many wires had molded together over the life span of 22 years and 376,000 miles. Also found where the CPS and valve cover plugs was replaced at one point and time. My harness is trash. I was going to fix the wires, but the more I dug the more the insulation was falling apart. Every wire would have to be replaced.
The problem im having isnt fixed yet. Im currently shopping for a New harness from ford or better. So far looks like a $500 purchase. I will update on here if this solves all my problems.
Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
E99 F250 superduty 2wd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Updating feed: finally order the harness for my truck. *Note - there are three different harness for the 99-03 powerstrokes. You can order a new one from fairwayfordparts.net. I know i was on here a little while ago and was searching feeds on where people was trying to find engine harness for there truck. i order mine though them. It was almost $400 shipping taxes and all. Should be getting it any day now. When I install it on my truck ill update this feed then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts