Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate winter! My truck has been not starting well for about 2 weeks now. Checked across the relay with my meter, it appears to working correctly. Turn on the key and I get voltage across it for about 10 sec. Checked the glow plugs, had 6 of them test open. Replaced all 8 last weekend. Started fine on Sunday and Monday, thought I had cured it. Now, starting this morning, it is back to its old tricks. I cycle the plugs, crank for 10 or so seconds, turn off the ignition, and repeat 1 or 2 more times and it starts, blowing white smoke for the first bit. If I plug it in, it will start fine. Only acts like this when it has sat for at least a few hours and got cold again. Any ideas what to check next??

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I would check the new glowplugs. And the relay should stay engaged for a lot longer than 10 seconds. Mine stays engaged for 2 minutes.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
keep it plugged in if you can... what oil you running? are you useing any winter fuel additives?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I would check the new glowplugs. And the relay should stay engaged for a lot longer than 10 seconds. Mine stays engaged for 2 minutes.
:whs: yeah glow plug relay bad

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess my next step is to get a new relay after work tomorrow. It is supposed to get all the way up to 40 tomorrow, a regular heat wave, so the truck should start a little better. I will check the glow plugs tonight, is it common to get bad ones out of the package? I bought motorcraft if that makes any difference. I have always used rotella 15-40, changing it every
5k. No fuel additive, never. Nothing against, just don't use. As a side note that p'ed me off, I just went out to feed hay and my 37 year old Case tractor started better than my truck.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Hey Rancher, just want to make sure on one point...How are you coming up with 10 seconds worth of voltage? Are you basing this upon the wts light? The gpr will send juice to the plugs for up to two minutes even after the light goes out. I think you would need a voltmeter hooked up to the gpr to determine how long its on.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went out and timed again tonight with my DMM. It stayed on about 45 sec, but only had 10.6 volts. Before I had my son turn the key on, it had 12.8 volts on the "hot" terminal. Is it normal to pull down this much?

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Went out and timed again tonight with my DMM. It stayed on about 45 sec, but only had 10.6 volts. Before I had my son turn the key on, it had 12.8 volts on the "hot" terminal. Is it normal to pull down this much?
I think that's too much Rancher, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in here soon to confirm.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i run power service in the white jug wich is there winter blend with cetane boost, 15w40 motorcraft.... i have only had a time or two that my truck has started hard and that is when the temp was below 0 and lower with wind.... and i forgot to plug it in.. but i usually don't plug it in unless its below 30..
but enen then its started with only a couple turns of the key....
i usually go out in the morn and turn the key get out wipe all the snow off the entire truck and then get back in and start it

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
That's too much, you got a bad relay.

The only time I plug my truck in, is when I have an issue with the glow plug system. I live in TX though, and 20º is really, really cold. Lots of guys on here live in real cold and start their trucks with no plug down to below 0º. Truck ain't happy about it, but it starts.

I hooked an LED up to the glowplug side of the relay. If the GPR is energized, the LED is lit. It stays on for 2 minutes if it is kinda cold. At 30º I will let it sit for about a minute, fire it up, let the idle smooth and drive out. I baby until I see the temp start to move (about a mile or two). If it is below 25º, I wait until the LED goes out and fire it up, let it run for a minute or three (about long enough for a smoke). And baby it along for a mile or so.

Our trucks do not really like cold, but with a good glow plug system, and a good set of batts, it should start up at quite a ways below 0º without too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put the new relay in on Wednesday. Starts good now, just wanted to wait a few days to brag. Thanks for all the help!

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Put the new relay in on Wednesday. Starts good now, just wanted to wait a few days to brag. Thanks for all the help!
Awesome! Glad you're up and running.
Best,
Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts