Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having two separate problems when starting my 97.

1. When you start it, it chugs like its gasping for gas, but after revving the engine a little it idles normal.

2. In cold weather, it won't start without putting an ignitor fluid in the air filter, which I know is bad but it's the only way it starts. After one start and driving it it'll start up fine.

Any ideas for solutions?? I'd really like to get it starting up normal on one try.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
glow plugs and glow plug relay

·
Old guy from the old days
263 Posts
Second vote as to glow plugs being the pace to start.

CLICK HERE to see a post in the technical library here that may be of help on checking and working on your glow plug system.

Dave / Believer45

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
For Q1, do you hear a hissing/whooshing noise along with it? If so, that's your EBPV. It closes when cold to heat up the engine faster. Lots of people have disconnected/removed theirs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For Q1, do you hear a hissing/whooshing noise along with it? If so, that's your EBPV. It closes when cold to heat up the engine faster. Lots of people have disconnected/removed theirs.

This happens when it's not cold also though. Is that still a solution of it happens anytime?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
There's a sensor that's supposed to make it not close as the truck warms up. It's connected to a tube that can get clogged with soot. If you unclog that tube, it'll probably stop activating when it's warmed up. I don't remember the exact location, but do a search on "EBP sensor" or some such, here and on the other diesel sites, and there're plenty of threads on the topic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone tell me how to test the glow plugs? I just replaced the gpr yesterday but tried to start it again today and it wouldn't.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wouldnt even test them, just replace them. If that doesnt do it you may have a starter or a battery issue with slow cranking. When a truck is cold, I think its normal to idle a little rough

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know it sounds dumb, but I had the same problem with my truck when I started it up and it surged at idle. I changed the neutral safety switch on the trans and it has never loped again. Just my two cents

1 - 9 of 9 Posts