Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I had a couple of slow crank situations. So I got some new batteries. Few days later got a slow crank again. Got it stared and found one of my gauge wires was wiggling loose. Fixed and no problems. This weekend it starts just fine. Then I remember something I left behind in the house. Shut it off and run back out 30 seconds later. Gives me a semi-slow crank and fires up. Put about 350 total miles on the truck and no problems with starting. Jump in it today and turn the key, everything is fine. "Wait to start" goes out and hit it and all I get are clicks. Everything goes dead. Then goes back to normal. Hit the key...nothing. Gauges do a little dance back and forth and I hear that buzzing sound from the right firewall. Hit the key everything dies then comes back to normal. Volt meter shows plenty of juice till I try and start.

Couldnt jump it either. Tried the neg on the battery and the frame. Noticed the neg on other battery getting warm so I immediately pulled it off and quit trying till I can drag the battery charger and tester over.

Any ideas?

Sorry so long but just trying to give a good idea of what Ive observed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i'd suggest doing a starter draw test, not sure about the specs though. I'm sure someone will come along and fill you in. good luck

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
its your battery connections/cables. check them all really well. i hav a pair of vice grips holding on one of my -'s. sometimes i get in, all the accessories work, but as soon as i try to crank, click. everything shuts off. i give the post the slightest tap and she will crank right up

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Pulled all the battery connections. All were snug with no apparent acid buildup. Except the pos on the right side is cracking where the nut tightens. Im guessing this will require I replace the whole cable since the wire runs in and back out the other end? Gave them a good cleaning. Found one of the leads for my HD headlight harness was cracked near the connector. RR'd them. Fired right up.

Im guessing this is a temp fix since I have the crack on the right post connector. Went looking for something I could rig but no luck. Does anyone make a connector that will allow me to cut this one off and connect two leads? Thanks for the input. Especially since Im a newb to this site.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Farm store. Or a pair of vise grips.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I got the idea from you. Great idea by the way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After not finding an alternative for fixing the right side positive battery clamp (The one with three wires running to it) I ventured down to NAPA to see what I could make. $160 was more than I was willing to spend and the idea of using a pair of vise grips didnt sit well either.

It was listed as military grade battery connector and a couple of crimpable connectors.

$22.00 and 30 minutes later my problem was solved.

terminalsm.jpg

Hope this helps someone else.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Looks good. Have to remember that idea.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NAPA part numbers

728223 Positive