Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. last night i drove the truck about 2 hrs to a pull. im 10 miles from the pull and slow down to take a turn and the truck just dies. coast to the side and try to start it and it just cranks. so i pop the hood to check fuel pressure and just take a general look. my fuel pump kicks on with the key, FP is 70 psi but it wont start. check the fuses and just do a general check and everything looks fine. mess around with it for about 10 min then try to start it and it starts. sorta wierd. drove it to the pull. started when i went to leave no issues. drive it 1.5 hrs to my friends to drop him off and it wont start when i go to leave. oh yea my check engine light came on too on the drive home. slide under truck to look it over, noticed my fuel filters were warm. not so hot you couldnt touch them.. but pretty dang warm. checked under the hood again, everything seems fine, FP is still 70 psi. but it just wont start. cranks and acts like it wants too. but just wont. so i was like screw it ill crash on his couch so we went inside. came back out bout 30 min later to try it one last time for the night and it SLOWLY started. cranked over fine.. but it acted like it was just barely getting enough fuel to start untill it finally fired up. drove it another 30-40 min home with no issues other than the CEL.. go to start it today. cranks over a few seconds longer than usual but starts up and now the CEL is gone. WTF could it be? my initial thought was fuel filters but wasnt sure since the pressure was right. so im gonna get new filters and go from there. but any other help would be greatly appreciated as im new to the strokers and not sure where to start. thanks a ton in advance and sorry for the novel. :ford:

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Are you talking about fuel pressure on your regulator? I thought those pressures weren't supposed be set higher than 60psi??

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Ok I gotcha now I didn't know if the pressure being too high on the return would cause problems starting up or not.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i have an aeromotive fuel system and its set at 70 psi and jonathan at swamps checked it when he tuned my truck and said 70 psi was fine. ive had the CEL come on before when i had my TS on the higher tunes and when i scanned it out it says no codes and the light goes away when i shut the truck down. last night was the first time ive had the CEL stay after shutting the truck down and starting it back up. but now its gone today. makes no sense what so ever. i guess ill take it to school with me and hook it up on the scanner again and see if it has any codes stored.

·
Registered
69 Posts
have you ever changed the cps? Your lucky you got home,that would have sucked being stuck a couple hrs from home.I agree about the scanner,start there and look for obvious problems under the hood.>>>>>brian

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive not done anything to this truck. only issues ive had was a leaking gen 3 and 2 injectors acting up. but swamps has already rebuilt both the gen3 and injectors. other than that its been great.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I would seriously consider looking into the CPS. I am not saying it is definitely the culprit, but it is a very likely suspect.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ill check anything out if it will fix it. but like i said in the story above, this is my first stroker and i have not a clue where that is or what it is. im still trying to get all those abbreviations down. so i dont know what the CPS is or where its at. anyone have pics? and could i get an explanation of the abbreviations. thanks

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
As far as an explanation of the acronyms, they are in green for a reason. If you place your pointer over them it will tell you what they mean. The CPS is located at about the 11 o'clock position of the crank pulley. A 10mm bolt holds the sensor in and it is a two wire plug. It is the only thing in that area. The easiest way to replace it is from underneath the truck. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
403 Posts
All of about a ten to fifteen minute job too.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok. finally able to get my truck in to school and scanned out. these are the codes i got and what it said with each. p0478-exhaust pressure valve high
p1212-icp not at expected, p0340-CPS fault in circuit, p1211-icp above or below desired.

now i know what the p0478 is about.. its cause the EBV is gone and not hooked up.. blah. not an issue. and after talking to my teacher at school who has a 97 f250 he said they have a recall on the cps. so im goin to the dealership to get that. but what do the other two mean?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Check the nut on the IPR. Have you changed the oil recently? Are you running oil additives (big no-no).

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well PSDEng... seems you were right... a buddy came and towed me back to my apartment and cranked on it while i was looking for the oil and my GEN3 sprung a leak. and a mighty good one at that. see for yourself!! FML!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts