Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had my truck for about 2 years now and when i first got it i was told by the previous owner that when its cold out after cranking on it for a while without the truck starting it will drain the hpop resovoir and then it won't even try to start without taking the plug out and filling the resovoir up with oil, this has proven to be true and i have had to do it a couple of times, but now it has done it twice in the last three days and this time the truck is acually starting like its gonna run but it doesn't catch oil pressure in time and shuts back off, yesterday it did it but the second time it started it it caught oil pressure and ran fine the rest of the day, now today after it shut back off it won't even try and start, i am wondering if my LPOP is getting weak causing this or if an injector o-ring is bad and its leaking down, i'm not sure what to think, any ideas?

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
I think there is a drain back problem on HPOP. It is probaly time for new pump, or look into having it rebuilt w/ 17* internals.:redspotdance:

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Fix the HPOP issue first then worry about glow plugs. No matter how good the glow plug system is it won't do you any good if the pump is losing oil like that cause it still wouldn't start.

·
OverFuelingForYourPlesure
1,609 Posts
the 94's have a differant hpop and front cover than the newer trucks. there is a drain back valve is in the front cover that was know to cause some issues, thus the reason they changed the design.
I am not sure how to fix it though havent had to mess with one yet:doh:
hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Fix the HPOP issue first then worry about glow plugs. No matter how good the glow plug system is it won't do you any good if the pump is losing oil like that cause it still wouldn't start.
Seems odd there is only an issue with the HPOP, when it's cold.

If you crank on a PSD long enough, will the LPOP be able to resupply the HPO tank, just from cranking on the starter?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i replaced the glow plugs about 8 months ago, and like i said the truck starts and runs for about 5-7 seconds but it doesn't catch oil pressure in time and then shuts back off.

·
OverFuelingForYourPlesure
1,609 Posts
in that case I'd say you need a new low pressure oil pump.
park the truck with the front end pointed down hill at a pretty good angle (so the oil Is closer to the oil pump) then let it sit over night and see how it starts

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's still odd, regardless, you only have this problem in cold weather. IIRC, many threads I've read on bleed-down issues are irrelevant of cold or warm temps. Further yet, it's had this problem only when cold, for 2+ years by you and the PO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah your right it is odd, but now i'm thinking its not a cold issue, because before the reason it would happen would be from me cranking and cranking on it when the truck wouldn't start due to the cold, but now the truck starts fine, it just won't stay running cause its not catching full oil pressure in time i guess then when i try and start it back up its not even trying cause the resovoir gets drained but i can't keep filling it back up to start it cause now theres too much oil in the motor, i'm gonna have to drain a quart out and pour it in the resovoir to get it running for the time being.

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
Only way to change front cover to 96-97 models, is pull the engine. Lot of work unless you need to repair other things. Might want to consider having to change HPOP, front cover, LPOP, oil pan.:redspotdance:

If you just need temp. fix, get the pump rebuilt w/ 17* internals. Good luck!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts