Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is happening in the truck in my sig, 2000 7.3L powerstroke. so when i first bought the truck i was told that the glow plugs were bad and needed replaced so i had to keep the truck plugged in. well replaced the glow plugs last fall and found that one of the pins on the uvch hardness was blown out. so i replaced this about a month ago. so i have not been plugging the truck in but driving it everyday. i was gone for a couple days a week ago and when and tried to start he truck and it would not start. what is going on? i dont really know what to do now and need this truck to be dependiable for work now. is this the ipr?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Charge the batteries. Have your batteries checked, individually. If you have a bad one, replace them both.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they both are basically both new, just had them checked

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Check for a power drain.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked out everything and my cranking is up to speed

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Did you check the HPOP reservoir?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a similar problem this winter...check your battery posts and make sure they are clean and the cables are tight. My problem turned out to be loose cables(loose being i could move them by hand with some effort) it sounded like it was cranking fine but it just wouldnt fire.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
have you checked the gpr?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i will check the batteries and cables out again tomarro just to make sure. the gpr is good

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
If it cranks fine plugged in and wont crank in 60 degree or warmer weather then theres likely 2 possible causes.

1 compression is low and the glow plugs arent doing their job. Takes both of these usually since good compression is enough to crank at 60 something degrees and warmer.

or

Your injectors have issues. Had this one myself. Some of my old injectors wouldnt fire when the motor was cold. So it had problems cranking. If you did get it cranked it would skip till the bad injectors warmed up enough to fire.

A compression test will tell you if its the first issue. The 2nd issue is tricky to test. Ive found using the block heater just long enough to get it to crank will usually spot the injectors being the problem since you will get it warm enough to crank it but it will run like crap till the rest warm up enough to run right.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i needed the truck for work so i just plugged it in ever night and used it. i have been down here in AZ for just over 2 months going to school but left my truck back in CO because the clutch went out two days before i left. when i go back in december for christmas i plan on trying to get my truck down here so i can get it running right, im at Cental Arizona College in the John Deere Tech Program so i will have all the tools i need. i was talking to one of my instructors last night about this and his best guess is injectors, and with just under 250,000 on the truck, they are probably worn out. Could this be the problem?

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Mine were shot at around 295k. Swamps hooked me up on a quality set and it cranks great after that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
if plugging in fires it up then its probably not your injectors. doesnt mean its not, but for does mean several would have to be shot first. i find this unlikely.

1. check the glow plug relay, or jump it for 3 seconds and try adn start the truck.
2. OHM out the new glows via harness, maybe there are wiring issues.
3. Compression - This is probably more likely than glow issues. the truck shoudl start plenty fine 45*F + (even down to the 30's) without waiting for glows. Provided your starter spins fast enough.

Check your compression, could be injectors o-rings, i find this more likely than bad injectors. If you have compression issues post here first so we can try tohelp determine whether its blowby or o-rings. if its o-rings it may be a good time to rebuild them while they are out anyway if they haev 250k+

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
if plugging in fires it up then its probably not your injectors. doesnt mean its not, but for does mean several would have to be shot first. i find this unlikely.

1. check the glow plug relay, or jump it for 3 seconds and try adn start the truck.
2. OHM out the new glows via harness, maybe there are wiring issues.
3. Compression - This is probably more likely than glow issues. the truck shoudl start plenty fine 45*F + (even down to the 30's) without waiting for glows. Provided your starter spins fast enough.

Check your compression, could be injectors o-rings, i find this more likely than bad injectors. If you have compression issues post here first so we can try tohelp determine whether its blowby or o-rings. if its o-rings it may be a good time to rebuild them while they are out anyway if they haev 250k+
Read up on clearance issues and the effect of heat on the injectors used in the 7.3. Basically the heat from the block heater will get the injectors warm enough to overcome the clearance that developes over time in the top of the injector assembly.

One of the easiest ways to spot the problem if its injectors is that even with the heat there to get them to fire and crank it will skip where not all of the injectors are back to firing but again this depends on how many are having problems and at what temp you need to get them back up to for them to fire.

On mine even with the temps up enough to get it to crank it skipped till the others warmed up enough to fire and smooth out.

Theres a few threads covering what was involved on the site here.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the few times i had it unplugged and could fire it up, it felt like it didnt have all its power but that could be because of the ebpv.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Mine was more of a dead miss on any injector that wasnt firing yet.

I started checking all my stuff by installing new glowplugs and verifying they were all working. Then went from there.

After I knew all the glowplugs were working perfectly that only left the injectors. Since it was cranking with the blockheater. Also I changed my injectors around 5 times with new orings going in there when I changed them out. I had 2 sets but all had issues. New ones from swamps and it runs great.

Ive fixed other trucks with similar problems since then too.

But never jump straight to the injectors past checking the glowplugs.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I had a problem with my truck starting slow almost like the batts were bad. It actually ended up bein the starter.

The starter was getting so gummed up it took so much power to tun it over, I looked under the truck and saw sparks coming from the starter.

It was weird, got worse and worse over time and i kept thinking it was the batts but it never wouldnt turn over it would just turn over really slow

·
Livin in the flatlands.
525 Posts
Just started having an issue with mine. It cranks over fine but has a fast "click" and won't fire. I keep forgetting to look at the tach to see if it's moving or not. After trying to crank it a few times it fires and idles fine, so I don't think its injectors. When it actually fires, there is no clicking either...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts