Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a newbie but I have a newbie question for sure. Where are you tapping for an EGT probe? Mine has always been in the manifold at the #8 cylinder. I can't remember how long the probe is, but I remember it's long enough to stick into the #8 exhaust port a tad.

The reason I ask is because now that I'm in Denver I have what I think are too high EGTs. I moved from sea level. I have 1250, empty, with the chip pulled out, stage 1s while accelerating at about 75% throttle on flat ground with heavy 36" tires.

With the chip in I can hit 1250 at about 40% throttle.

Interestingly enough, I also see it pegged sometimes at 100 degrees while decelerating in gear, slowly, down a mountain pass in the snow. That's fascinating to me how it can be that cool right at the port.

Anyway, back on topic. Is it possible that my probe is in a hotter spot than the majority?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Travis thats right were mine is tapped. I could get my egt to jump to 1300 with 1's pretty quick on flat ground wot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i moved from sea level to the mountains outside of alb. new mexico, elivation is like 7000 feet or something high like that, your numbers are about the same as mine, i have 35inch tires, stage 2 injectors, no chip, and a few other minor things, wot i have to let off at about 60 cuz egts are at 1200... on the freeway, flat, at 65mph its between 600-700 and going up the hills at 65mph its betwwen 800-1000, my probe is in the exhaust manifold right before it connects to the rest of the exhaust, having a brain fart and cant think of the proper name.... long story short, your numbers and probe possition look correct to me, it doesnt look like you have an intercooler or water/meth, if your like me i personally dont like my temps that hot, especially with a lead foot, im actually finsihing a water/meth install today. ill post back and let you know how much it cools things down.

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finsihing a water/meth install today. ill post back and let you know how much it cools things down.
Please do. I've been considering the same. Thanks for the replies. I know it's a different ball game out here, but it just feels like something's not right with the truck since I got here. Even just this morning the EGTs jumped to 250 immediately after start-up. That never used to happen. Maybe 120 or 150. It would only reach 250 or 300 that quick if I had the exhaust brake on.

·
Registered
247 Posts
sounds about right. leave the low lands of denver and head up the hill to the real elevation an they go up even more. they loose A LOT of power when you get real high too. haha

·
Bleeds IH Red
380 Posts
Do you guys remove the manifold to drill and tap it?

·
Bleeds IH Red
380 Posts
Thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts