Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've read around a bit on the site immediately after this happened and it seems (and i HOPE) it's the CPS...but i would like to seesome second opinions. Here's the scoop:

Truck: 2001 F350 192,000 miles
-I just purchased the truck from a small dealer so as far as regular maintenance the previous owner did I can't be sure...but it seems very well taken care of, which is why I bought it.

Today i was driving down I-90 doing 65, truck running great like it always has. When i pulled off onto the offramp and came to a stop it died as though i had just turned the key off...no sputtering or rough idle or low RPM before this happened. I turned the key over and bam fired right up like nothing ever happened. I then went another 700 feet and it died again...this time service engine light came on. I turned the key off this time and then restarted and bam, again like nothing ever happened she fired right up. Then I reconsidered my orignal plans of going to the motorsports dealer and thought best that I head back home. Get back on the freeway and within 1/2 a mile it died again while passing someone...embarrassing haha. Again, i simply put in neutral and she fired right back up and then i made the 6 mile drive back home without another issue. No lights remain on the dash and it seems to run just fine. This is my first Powerstroke so i'm not very familiar with them yet. Any thoughts from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just drove it around a bit more and it seems as though it's gotten even worse...it starts just fine but it stalled three times in a mile long trip around base. Also, it seems as though my fuel pump has gotten quieter than it first was. I used to be able to hear it inside the truck when i waited for the glow plugs and now i can't. I immediately got under it to see if it was on at all, and it is...? Don't know if that's just in my head or not. I also noticed now that as i was sitting idling sometimes dash lights would flicker on and off. The ones i remember were the "Wait to Start" and "Service Engine Soon". They never stayed on though. This completely confuses me as this has literally came out of left field with no warning.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Mine did this but would run fine for a couple of wks then start all over again. Scanned it, no codes. This went on for about 3-4 months. Went away and has been trouble free for months now. It may stall again tomorrow but I don't have a clue. Never a SES light or code. You said you got a light so scan it with AE and see what codes are set. Good luck

·
Looking,Listening&Learnin
79 Posts
I'd replace the cps. It was only like 20 bucks when i got one from ford. Also only buy one from FORD. I got one first from advanced auto and after one drive down my street it went out again. Put a Ford one in it and its been fine sense.

·
it's an 02 05 08
930 Posts
probably just a cps but ive had ipr's do the exact same thing

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks guys. This is what I was thinking myself. I HOPE this will fix the issue. I drove it today and last night and seems fine again...I ordered a "dark blue" cps since it's apparently better than the gray one and I couldn't find any Black ones for sale. The code never sticked so I'm not sure if that can still be read or not? I think i'm also gonna look at the connectors on my under valve cover harnesses and make sure they are not corroded at all. Read that in another thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts