Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Depends on where you are. If you are in snow/salt country, stainless. If you are somewhere where that is not a concern, aluminized will work fine. If you put a tip on it, the only people that will know are the ones that crawl underneath it.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Stainless is a better material, but not necessary for most people. If you live in a harsh climate and plan on keeping the truck a while, go with stainless. If not, aluminized will work just fine.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Spray it off with what? Just water?

·
Registered
670 Posts
My aluminized has seen 3 MN winters. Still looks the same as when I put it on. I do spray it off once a week in the winter though.

Spray it off with what? Just water?

·
Registered
504 Posts
yea, just water. I wash my truck every week in the winter. As far as looks I dont care what a pipe under my truck looks like. Ive got a nice dual walled tip for the good lookn part. The stainless in the cheaper stainless kits still rusts. The stock stainless that came off my truck was full of rust. I just bought aluminized because it was a little cheaper, and it still so happens to look like new. The more expensive grade T304 I think is better. I dont feel the cheaper grade T409 is much, if any better than the alumanized.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
My aluminized has seen 4 winters (and the last winter it will ever see) here in the white mountians and still look good...i painted them with black stove paint before i put them on and crawl under there and spray it again every spring...

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I've got the base stainless on my magnaflow kit and liking it so far (2 years and about 40k miles) its rjusting a little but looks like I could cleanit and polish it back to life, just some surface rust. Still comes apart fairly easy for swapping my cat in/out. Doesn't look shiney but all I ask is that it doesn't rot off the truck.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I got MBRP 409 and have had it for proly 2 1/2 years and its rusted up i wish i would of bought the 304. I live in maryland and they salt the fu** out of the roads in the winter.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got MBRP 409 and have had it for proly 2 1/2 years and its rusted up i wish i would of bought the 304. I live in maryland and they salt the fu** out of the roads in the winter.
Goose- I'm not that far just over the MD/PA line and also have the MBRP 409 and took a hard hit with the road salt. With the amount of surface rust it would be hard to tell if it's SS or Aluminized at this point:(
I'm thinking of having the muffler back powder coated and the rest stove pipe to match:shrug: Have to do something with it now...

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
My aluminized is in great shape still. But I had somebody weld it together... didn't know any better at the time. So all the welds are rusting... LOL

No salty roads... just de-icer chemicals and lots of rain.. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts