Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My muffler guy called and said he ordered some stainless steel polished stacks for me to look at and was wondering what you guys thought about stainless verses chrome. There's a bit of a price difference but he said they'd hold up better. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. :confused:Thanks in advance, Traci

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
Stainless will hold up better against rust and corrosion. I don't know about the polish though. You may have to re-polish it every so often.

·
Really?
62 Posts
Stainless is the way to go. I've had both on two different trucks (both were gas), and I won't go back to chrome. Chrome will rust. The polish will not be quite as brilliant, but light polishing brings it back to life.

*Avoid NeverDull on Stainless Steel :badidea:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yep... I agree...

For longevity, in anything "brightwork", either Stainless, or Alluminum... polished to a good luster...

For about the same amount of work as keeping chrome looking good, the stainless or alluminum will last a lifetime, and not rust and flake/chip off..

For any visible exhaust parts, stainless steel all the way...

There are a few rouges that work wonders on stainless and aluminum... Usually, White Rouge, or Jewelers Rouge work best.

Chase

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys Stainless steel it will be then. I appreciate all the info and will send a picture when I get them put on although it will probably be after the 1st of the year :ford:
Yep... I agree...

For longevity, in anything "brightwork", either Stainless, or Alluminum... polished to a good luster...

For about the same amount of work as keeping chrome looking good, the stainless or alluminum will last a lifetime, and not rust and flake/chip off..

For any visible exhaust parts, stainless steel all the way...

There are a few rouges that work wonders on stainless and aluminum... Usually, White Rouge, or Jewelers Rouge work best.

Chase

·
Registered
346 Posts
On top of that...

When you get some time, find a crotch rocket, with a polished frame... quality work mind you...

Polished aluminum, and stainless, have... a depth to them... doesnt look like chrome up close... has a LUSTER and depth.. like a REAL good paint job, or a VERY high quality Nickel plate job...

Chase

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Just have em painted black to match the truck Traci, trucst me it will look good! My next stack setup will probley be a set of dual 5" black flat cuts. I like the chrome but the next set will be painted! :D
For stacks I like the Grand Rocks the best, very good quality!

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
I think if I had a black or charcol grey truck I'd run those new black stainless stacks. I think silverline and mbrp have some.

The black stainless is sweet!

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I think if I had a black or charcol grey truck I'd run those new black stainless stacks. I think silverline and mbrp have some.

The black stainless is sweet!
I agree, that would be a sweet looking rig. Silverline makes the black stainless not sure but MBRP might be doing it now too. I like the MBRP for a tail pipe system, for the stacks I'm very happy with my Grand Rocks! :D

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I'm likin the idea of stacks on my truck more and more. Just might have to do that some time this summer! Because of michigan, I'd have to go with the stainles

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Thanks Guys Stainless steel it will be then. I appreciate all the info and will send a picture when I get them put on although it will probably be after the 1st of the year :ford:
Bet the stainless will have a diff. sound as well.
Damn it all this stack talk is sure making me want to stack my truck when its running again. :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
If its something visible, Stainless all the way...

NOW, damn, you guys are getting to me...

Ran it past a few buddies at the show......

If I go with black stainless, they think it would look good... but...

Chase

·
Registered
346 Posts
DAMN.... 731+shipping...

OUCH... stacks... nope...hahaha

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
John's right, I've seen stacks on trucks around here that are over 5 years old & still look like new. Just take care of em & try to keep em clean. I usually just wipe em down with a few paper towels & some windex. Only time I see em rust is when they get a deep scratch.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got them one Yesterday and they sound sweet! I have until summer to get the bypass figured out so I'm stoked. These shots aren't great as it was getting dark by the time I picked it up.
John's right, I've seen stacks on trucks around here that are over 5 years old & still look like new. Just take care of em & try to keep em clean. I usually just wipe em down with a few paper towels & some windex. Only time I see em rust is when they get a deep scratch.

Attachments

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
Your rig looks great with the stacks.

Polished stainless holds up great and can look just as good as chrome. I usually clean my tip when I'm doin the wheels, pretty painless just a little elbow grease.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't get over how great they sound. It's the one thing I never thought about
Your rig looks great with the stacks.

Polished stainless holds up great and can look just as good as chrome. I usually clean my tip when I'm doin the wheels, pretty painless just a little elbow grease.

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
Exactly!!

I can't hear mine at all unless I'm driving next to a wall on the right side of my rig with the passenger window down LOL!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts