Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys am cheap man when i know i can cut a corner.... i need a dpf back exhaust i choose to go w/ a 4in but the aluminize exhaust r so much cheaper i know they will rust and crap out but how long do u think they can last up here in the midwest....?

·
Registered
666 Posts
if you get snow and salt on the roads u might aswell get stainless.

·
Registered
692 Posts
An aluminized kit can, if taken care of properly, last you 5-7 years no issues. It will not be pretty underneath, but it won't rust through in that amount of time. Our Aluminized kits are 16 gauge so they are pretty thick for an aluminized exhaust.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Aluminized will be fine. If you are keeping the truck over 5 years though, you might want to consider stainless.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I would rather run aluminized then stainless I have had stainless rust thru alot sooner then aluminized and if it's high quality aluminized should not have any problems for a long while 8-10 years just my .02 though

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Surface rust will show up much sooner on T409 stainless than it will on aluminized steel. However, the rust is just on the surface and is cosmetic.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hmmm i wish mine was just surface rust on my stainless.... i couldn't stand it

·
Registered
581 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
that I am unsure of it was a magnaflow kit

·
Registered
581 Posts
Although I find it hard that stainless of any grade rusted through faster than aluminum, I guess it's possible under severe conditions. Makes me wonder how the frames on your vehicles are if conditions are that bad. LOL

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
My plan was to buy an aluminized kit and paint it with black high temp paint because my truck is black anyways. I thought this might prevent rust. Anyone ever tried this?

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
My entire exhaust is aluminized with ceramic coating on it. My stacks were chrome steel now 2000 degree ceramic coating black steel. i love it. with some simple coating the aluminized was the right buy for sure.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
My entire exhaust is aluminized with ceramic coating on it. My stacks were chrome steel now 2000 degree ceramic coating black steel. i love it. with some simple coating the aluminized was the right buy for sure.
Beauty, glad to know it works. That's what I'll do for sure then. Which paint did you use? I know VHT makes a 2000* ceramic paint.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so if i buy a aluminized exhaust and use like duplicolor high temp paint over it I will be okay in snow salt & ice.... cuz exhaust systems shouldn't be somthing to maintain you jus throw it on an thats it

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Beauty, glad to know it works. That's what I'll do for sure then. Which paint did you use? I know VHT makes a 2000* ceramic paint.
I use the VHT 2000* black ceramic paint for patches and it works just as good as my 500 dollar ceramic paint job. My delete pipe bed kit and stacks is true ceramic coating. but my downpipe is VHT and it works just as well. no rust so far and no chips in the paint.

so if i buy a aluminized exhaust and use like duplicolor high temp paint over it I will be okay in snow salt & ice.... cuz exhaust systems shouldn't be somthing to maintain you jus throw it on an thats it
Dont use duplicolor. i tried it before and it did not stick even with cleaning. VHT makes a much better paint it will stick to mostly anything. I used it to put on new exhuast parts like my downpipe. it works great and none of my exhaust it close to rotting.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
use the VHT 2000* black ceramic paint for patches and it works just as good as my 500 dollar ceramic paint job.
Good to hear, I was gonna use it anyways. I'm just going to give the system a few good coats before I install it and keep a can on hand it case it ever needs touch ups.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
thats wat i do. i have a can in my tool bag for like a show or something. it is actually lasting longer the my true coating. the coating wore off in some spots and i spray a rag with the paint and wipe it on and then wipe it off quick. it adds the ceramic back to my coating.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so by doing the VHT 2000 spry paint job on it can I expect it to last over 10+ years cus i would hate to buy one l8er down the road

·
Registered
124 Posts
Lol, I have the Banks Monster Exhaust (duals) and every time I start my truck , rust falls off of it. U can see the outline one the garage floor. Not sure what it's made from but sure doesn't look good. Looking to replace it now. Even the tips turned colors. Junk I say Junk!

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Lol, I have the Banks Monster Exhaust (duals) and every time I start my truck , rust falls off of it. U can see the outline one the garage floor. Not sure what it's made from but sure doesn't look good. Looking to replace it now. Even the tips turned colors. Junk I say Junk!
Haha, that's brutal. Living in Canada I knew I'd have to do something if I wanted to run aluminized. I personally think ceramic looks better too, cuz even stainless starts surface rusting and gets pitted and all that. What is yours made of?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts