Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower will they support? What does it take to run them and still beable to tow 12,000lb? Are they worth the extra money over stage 1'?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you plan on a D66 in the future I wouldn't get teh II's . II's will require a bigger more capable turbo. I have an H2e with II's and it is a good combo for towing.
The D66 has the same bearing setup as a stock turbo and will not hold II's.

If you want II's and want to tow with them you may want to to replan your setup. IMO only, I don't feel the adrenaline will get the max ability out of the II's either. Just my opinion based on my experiences. I was gonna get an adrenaline and realized it wouldn't support a big set of II's as well as I thought.

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
They will go up to 400hp with an upgraded turbo and hpop. My buddy did the diy stage 2's on his 190k mile 1996 obs with a 5spd. He hasn't even had his dp tuner retuned yet and his egt's aren't to bad also considering he still has a stock turbo and hpop. He has an extended cab 4x4 with 4.10 gears and can spin the tires in 4th on main street. 12k pounds should be easily towed with stage 2's if you have correct tuning for the injectors.

I thought the d66 was made to support stage 2's?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What HPOP would I need? I liked the adrenaline for the price, lol So I would need an H2E turbo to tow with 2's?

Yea I have a TS 6 pos chip and once I get injectors/turbo/hpop I was going to get TW tunes.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
d66 will work great with stage 2s

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
If you plan on a D66 in the future I wouldn't get teh II's . II's will require a bigger more capable turbo. I have an H2e with II's and it is a good combo for towing.
The D66 has the same bearing setup as a stock turbo and will not hold II's.

If you want II's and want to tow with them you may want to to replan your setup. IMO only, I don't feel the adrenaline will get the max ability out of the II's either. Just my opinion based on my experiences. I was gonna get an adrenaline and realized it wouldn't support a big set of II's as well as I thought.
What/who's HPOP are you running then to support your stage 2's then? I don't see it listed in your sig. Are the thrust bearings different on the H2E than the D66?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
No, you will be fine with stage 2's and a D66.

Hundred's of people have that setup and they aren't complaining.

Stage 2's have been dyno'd over 450 hp

Adrenaline would be a great pump for Stage 2's. Or for cheaper just get a modded 17* HPOP.

You would need to get electric fuel system, better clutch.

If i did my setup over again i would go with stage 2's

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
What/who's HPOP are you running then to support your stage 2's then? I don't see it listed in your sig. Are the thrust bearings different on the H2E than the D66?
He must be running split shots if adrenaline wont do the job.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, you will be fine with stage 2's and a D66.

Hundred's of people have that setup and they aren't complaining.

Stage 2's have been dyno'd over 450 hp

Adrenaline would be a great pump for Stage 2's. Or for cheaper just get a modded 17* HPOP.

You would need to get electric fuel system, better clutch.

If i did my setup over again i would go with stage 2's
Sweet, as I need to keep the truck as reliable as possible and beable to haul my mud truck(about 12,000lb).

Im wanting to push for 400hp-450hp.

I'll probley go with the adrenaline, not to bad of a price.

yea going to work on e-fuel system and understand need better clutch.

So a D66 plus adrenaline will work with stage 2's and not get to hot?

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Nope Just make sure you go with a good tune. I would go with who ever your injector builder sugest.

·
852 Posts
Should be fine i would think. If not then u can save up for an intercooler. But i would think you could get by easily without an intercooler

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I planed on a intercooler, sence I tow pretty heavy with her. I was going to go with Tony Wildman tunes.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sweet, as I need to keep the truck as reliable as possible and beable to haul my mud truck(about 12,000lb).

Im wanting to push for 400hp-450hp.

I'll probley go with the adrenaline, not to bad of a price.

yea going to work on e-fuel system and understand need better clutch.

So a D66 plus adrenaline will work with stage 2's and not get to hot?
Here is the setup i would go with

Stage 2's 100% nozzles
D66
Intercooler (metal intakes)
Electric fuel ( superduty pump)
adrenaline or TE modded pump
Southbend con ofe or comparable clutch rated for at least 450 HP
custom tunes

Extra upgrades that will help
idm mod
hpx line
3" plenums
#6637 airfilter

Not needed, but makes better and more dependable
valve springs
headstuds

If your truck still gets hot while towing up long grades buy a water meth kit that kicks in when you hit high egt's

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I was gonna say. I just put my adrenaline in about two weeks ago and it made a huge difference over my old worn out pump. My plans are to run 2's and a D66 with custom tunes with the rest that is in my sig. Also looking into intercooler that I can plumb without cutting my brand new from ford rad support. I have a 3" body lift so I think I can tuck the tubes around and under the rad support if I get the right one. Sorry for the derail/highjack OP.

·
852 Posts
What does the modded TE cost anyways?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well I was running a modded TE pump. Just took it off last night. I have a Termy Dual pump system on the bench going in this week.

Yes the thrust bearings are different on the H2e than the d66. They are stronger and are capable of high boost numbers.

Split shots would be easier on a pump. They might even be able to be run with a good 17° pump. Mine are 180cc Single shots. Single shots drink ALOT of oil, especially the bigger you go.

I spoke to Bob about this in quite a bit of depth. As I stated it was my 'opinion' that the adrenaline wasn't the best pump. Will it work? Of course. But to get the full capabilities from your setup I would go bigger.
I explained to Bob my setup. And the fact that my sticks are 180cc instead of 160cc. I told him I know the adrenaline would be fine but did he think that my setup was on the upper cusp of what the adrenaline was capable of. He said yes it would be fine but it may be on the upper end for the pump.
That is one of the factors I used to form my opinion.

What does the modded TE cost anyways?
TE now charges $100 to mod a pump I believe. He used to be cheaper when it was new and he was still data logging it. I think now that he has plenty of data and support to back it up he now sells the newly designed modded pump.

Just so you guys know I am not a supporter of anybody I mentioned in my posts. Also Bob sells a great product. And for the price the adrenaline is a goreat pump. It just wasn't for me.

·
Wheelie Dude
2,126 Posts
I love misinformation on the internet its what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Depending on the size a split will always use more oil then a single shot. Since you have 180cc single that is the same size as a AD split shot but larger of course then most standard 160cc singles.

We use D66's with Stage 2's all the time, like someone else said hundreds of them. Its not about the turbo not being tough enough to support it it is more about the tuning and the pedistal. With the wrong tuning drive pressure can get out of control and that will kill a turbo. We have also seen ebp solenoids mess up and starve the turbos for oil. Since we have started doing our own tuning and selling nonebpv pedistals our failure rates on D66's have gone down to almost none over the past year and if there were any failures it was'nt with our tunes. We have even gone to pairing up D66's with 238cc hybrids now, just tuned a 97 in on the dyno at 530hp with that combo. We have a few others that have been running a D66 with 238's for years.

So with Stage 2's get a intercooler, D66 and some good tunes and you will be able to tow anything you want. Matt here at the shop has that combo and he tows his camper in our Hot tune that makes damn near 400hp and never gets over 1200 degrees. In our lower tunes like a tow program it wont top 1000.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I love misinformation on the internet its what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Depending on the size a split will always use more oil then a single shot. Since you have 180cc single that is the same size as a AD split shot but larger of course then most standard 160cc singles.

We use D66's with Stage 2's all the time, like someone else said hundreds of them. Its not about the turbo not being tough enough to support it it is more about the tuning and the pedistal. With the wrong tuning drive pressure can get out of control and that will kill a turbo. We have also seen ebp solenoids mess up and starve the turbos for oil. Since we have started doing our own tuning and selling nonebpv pedistals our failure rates on D66's have gone down to almost none over the past year and if there were any failures it was'nt with our tunes. We have even gone to pairing up D66's with 238cc hybrids now, just tuned a 97 in on the dyno at 530hp with that combo. We have a few others that have been running a D66 with 238's for years.

So with Stage 2's get a intercooler, D66 and some good tunes and you will be able to tow anything you want. Matt here at the shop has that combo and he tows his camper in our Hot tune that makes damn near 400hp and never gets over 1200 degrees. In our lower tunes like a tow program it wont top 1000.
How has the 97" been driven? Does it tow? IC? That's the set-up I want for the green truck but was worried it wouldn't be enough.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
He came here from CT and towed the OBS with a D- max, the D-max blew a tire on the way home and towed the remaining 15hrs with the OBS.:D It is intercooled also.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts