Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear from someone that has swapped over to stage 2 heads. I've got a 2000 F350 4x4 that has 185,000 miles. I'm currently going through it and upgrading several components. Have put on an adrenaline high pressure oil pump, 5 inch exhaust, in the middle of upgrading to irate diesels competition fuel system. Ordered a larger turbo. Now I'm considering upgrading the heads prior to replacing injectors. Gonna pull them anyway to have them checked out and at a minimum replace the injector seats and put in new seals. I can afford a set of stage 2 heads but wonder if it's really worth it. The truck is my daily driver and it'll be used to tow a fifth wheel camper, a trailer with roughly 8000 pound loads on occasion, ect. Not looking to exceed 550 HP, so the question is would the heads really be worth the expense?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had mine done but don’t have it running yet. It did get broken in and loaded on an engine dyno. It is a very conservative tow/daily driver/longevity build with 160/30’s and S364.5. It dyno’d over 1,000 ft lbs over 1,600 rpm. From understanding of port work on the 7.3 is that it is most effective on lower rpm and throttle tip in.

Reactions: RobertAlbright

·
Registered
76 Posts
It really depends if you want to spend the money. For the HP you are looking to achieve, typically it's not worth the pricetag for what you get. Sure it will help, but is it worth the $3-5k investment.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: RobertAlbright

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s, kinda my line of thought too. Nice to have, love the idea of fire rings, and the supposed 20% more flow; but I really don’t see any great upside unless I decided to go for more hp (which I don’t need) At 55 I’m more interested in just getting from point A to point B without losing much MPG.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Before pulling the trigger on port work I did a lot of research. Those that had done it noticed faster spool, increased part throttle performance, less smoke and all around more efficient performance for daily driving. This is mostly from bowl and radius work not all out enlargement. I’m a Smokey Yunick kind of guy. A good performing engine isn’t 5 big things it’s 50 little things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
While your there and having fun go for it..The response and pleasure will be with you on every adventure. Sumthing to talk about in the tavern...The Gov Holmes

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you do upgraded heads or just have a port/polish job on yours, probably would want to upgrade the cam too to take advantage.

·
Registered
221 Posts
According to Dave Armstrong “Golfer” the original owner of Swamps more efficient port flow at low lift negates the need for a performance cam and in fact makes a performance cam undesirable for less than all out max effort race engines.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dave and his team built a dyno mule engine and modified and re dyno’d it after every configuration change. The complete file was lost to a crashed drive but the results were that there was little gain from a cam but very measured gains from port work. Plus lower drive pressure EGT etc. Moved boost lower in rpm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts