Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Failure to Communicate
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is the 3rd time typing this so I am getting :(

How about a stage 1 common rail setup on a psd, find a donor cp3, rails, injectors(there are dmax ones that use a 90+ volt signal to fire) mount up the cp3 and rails, mod a set of valve covers for the rails to go through, if possible make a set of inserts for the heads to fit the dmax injectors or if you had to machine the heads and put inserts in but that makes it a hassle.

Use the PSD pcm/idm to control it(yeah you don't overcome those rpm limitations but it would be interesting), source a pressure sender that can mimic our ICP sender but work in the cr range, same for the IPR.

Live tune to get the timing right and let her rip.

Now this is the ramblings of a coffee-fueled tard monkey but hey gotta do something on a rainy day.

Stage 2 would be to have the guy making the blocks to make a set of heads without the fuel/oil passages and use that space for better airflow and size the injector holes for the dmax ones.

stage 3 would be adapt the dmax electronics and make an external setup for timing control.
:postwhore2:

· Oil anyone?
414 Posts
That would be a bitchin idea, I heard from Elite that there was a guy who was working on this. Haven't heard about in any more though. Another option that I have heard is a all mechanical version of the 7.3 . I know this brings back the idea of a P-pumped engine but I think it will come through. The talk was to have new heads made that didnt have oil or fuel rails in it and machined to acept either a cummins,Cat, or International mech injecter. As for the pump, I have seen a inline 8 pump befor off of a 9.L V8 that might work there. Now this is all speculation and I haven't seen or talked to any major players in the development of this. I my opinion either set up would work but at what cost? There is a lot of if's with these options. Another thing is has anyone worked on a custom ECU and IDM that can rev?

· PSN nerd
2,282 Posts
i have thought of this too, this is one reason i thought of eventually getting a 6.4 with the emmissions gear off of it once the electronics are figured out so then i could have a CR motor and build the turbo setup with 2 bb fixed vanes. i drove a buddies 6.4 F450 the other day and it moves pretty good and tows well the mileage just sucks and i think alot of that has to do with the emmissions gear. he gets like 10-12 driving and about 8 with the trailer. but the 70mph speed limits round here kill mileage even my trucks the mileage has slid down some.

· Oil anyone?
414 Posts
I hope that it comes soon, when I go to rebuild my engine I want to go all out and have the ability to rev when pullin.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
I know this is a Ford site and you guys are gonna call me a quitter but if your putting all those Dmax parts in it why don't you just put the entire Dmax engine in and be done with it? It would be easier, probably cheaper, and already proven to be capable of over 1000 hp on #2.

· Failure to Communicate
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I called them duramax stuff but actually I don't feel like they are duramax parts at all, all 3 are using basically the same pump, rails, injectors as it is so they are CR parts that happened to be bolted on a dmax and with the setup I am talking about the price shouldn't be that close to a swap especially when you look at what mods they are doing to the cr's with dual pumps and such.

I think I will start by getting the right core injector and see where I can get with making it work in the psd head and whether I can make it fire with the idm.

I can't justify throwing away a perfectly good motor and wouldn't swap in a dmax anyway, but I do see where you are coming from just like to do things different.

· Registered
347 Posts
Use a single CP3.4, flows more than twice the amount of fuel as CP3.3. It's used in large OTRT's. I would use whatever CPU/IDM, injector that is compact and has a good RPM range, this will allow for EFI/LIVE tuning.

Should be the chit if it ever happens.

· Failure to Communicate
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any details on which rigs the cp3.4 was on?

That would be stage 2 or 3 using the other pcm due to the sensor inputs needed to work it for me. I would like to see what could be done with the stock one and live tuning first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.