Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been a big fan of stacks on pickups. They look good on some trucks and set up right...

Here is the deal...

I am running on a low compression used motor right now, and to make matters worse I am at 5500' right now in Prescott. Add to that a rather large turbo that takes a bit to light and you can guess... I smoke a bit.

Even without trying I will blow out a huge cloud until the turbo lights. I really try to tenderfoot it off stop lights and can control it quite well once underway.

I am thinking of adding a single 5" or 6" stack on the drivers side, just to get it up off the ground so I dont smoke everyone out... cant run more then a single due to the fuel tank and tool box in the bed.

So questions are,

Those of you with stacks, loud in the cab when cruising? Soot all over the truck when warming up? would you do it again?

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
Single Aussie should give you enough exhaust velocity to keep most of the soot off the truck. I've been told that aussies and turnouts are the quietest in the cab, but cannot personally confirm that as all I've run is twin Aussies. For me, even with headers, it is easy to have a normal conversation in the cab. I have a crew cab.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've got a white truck and single 6" I do notice I get alot of little black specs on top of my cab from startup after a heavy dew or light rain. Other than that no soot problems.

In cab noise is definately pronounced but as long as you mount the top of the stack above the cab it's bearable.

Even with a stack I can still make cars hit their brakes, but it is alot better than shooting it out the side.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sound in the cab isnt that bad while cruising...but when you're taking off or heavy footin it you cant really talk in the cab...

I have a white truck and rarely ever see any soot on the truck.

All in all Im very pleased with mine, but if your sole purpose is to not smoke people out then stacks wont help that much as the smoke goes directly behind the truck...seems like blowing it out the side over the shoulder of the road would actually be better...

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sound in the cab isnt that bad while cruising...but when you're taking off or heavy footin it you cant really talk in the cab...

I have a white truck and rarely ever see any soot on the truck.

All in all Im very pleased with mine, but if your sole purpose is to not smoke people out then stacks wont help that much as the smoke goes directly behind the truck...seems like blowing it out the side over the shoulder of the road would actually be better...
Duals...

With my old stage 2's... for example.

I would go with a single turnout clear to the passanger side...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just removed my 7" mitres after 2 years. There is zero way you will not have soot flakes all over a white truck. Soot builds up and eventually flakes off and out. It was loud inside with the CC. I do miss the look/sound at times, but had enough for now... Rain/snow also makes for a nice treat

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Soot all over the truck, black slushy water all over the whole thing, loud as hell and annoying.

Mine is getting a nice 5'' out the rear as soon as I have time. I am still dd'ing the truck all over and I hate it. I did it for the pulling rules, but I do not have time or money to break stuff now that I have a lil power.

I did run a set of aluminum dual stacks that I built that were real qiuet, this single is anything but quiet.

I think there is more smoke in the road with the stack(s) than without.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hummmm... I was hoping to get it off the road a bit... Really, I am not a smoker, and hate it.

But I can not afford a new motor right now... 5500 feet is not helping! LOL

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Over 30mph and it is on the road right behind you.

Pull some low end fuel out.
Once rolling its not bad at all... Just the starting out that bugs me. Turbo lights at about 1200-1300rpms and then it runs pretty clean.

Maybe I am making more of it then it is... Went from 30% nozzles before the motor blew to (IMHO) large 100% nozzles now. Then drove from home to here! LOL

I may talk to swamps about doing that...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I thought you were an auto guy Joe? Why are you having anything below 1500+?

I know when I went to the manual there was a smoke problem at lugging rpm's/ I dont remember the auto ever being locked that low....unless manually.

I would think there should be some decent tuning changes to be made going from 30 to 100.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought you were an auto guy Joe? Why are you having anything below 1500+?

I know when I went to the manual there was a smoke problem at lugging rpm's/ I dont remember the auto ever being locked that low....unless manually.

I would think there should be some decent tuning changes to be made going from 30 to 100.
It is an auto... I may have that number a little low...:pointlaugh: I'll watch a bit tomarrow. Once moving it lights.

Part of the problem for a LONG time is this suncoast TC I have. It is WAY too tight. Smoke has been an issue since I put this TC in. Its just worse now.

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Change that converter. It will be more fun to drive and your smoke problem will be much better. I have to do the same on my converison, I'm gonna send the converter back to Brian in a week or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts