Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to my suspension system, I'm having trouble routing my exhaust system over the rear axle or as a side exit.

That pretty much leaves me only a stack as an option.

However, I need to run a folding bed cover to prevent theft of things from the box.

Has anyone notched a folding bed cover so it works with a stack ?

·
WFO 4life
263 Posts
just need a large hole saw on variable speed drill, tape up 3-4 inches bigger then you a are going to cut.

The notch works great. After the notch is cut, check for clearance. File down and seal the edges of your cut. Get some "C" channel weather strip and go around your edge, makes it look really good and will last a long time. Use adhesive on the capping "C" channel to seal it to the edge.

Post pics when done.

·
International Diesel Tech
199 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a Extang Solid Fold bed cover like this one.
Solid Fold

When it folds, the edges of the folded pieces are going to hit the stack.

In order to get around that, I'll need to cut 2 holes. One in the piece that fits over the stack and another U shaped hole near the edges of the folding pieces at the hinge.

I'll then have to have a cover to close the hole when the cover isn't folded.

Is it worth it ?

·
WFO 4life
263 Posts
I've got a Extang Solid Fold bed cover like this one.
Solid Fold

When it folds, the edges of the folded pieces are going to hit the stack.

In order to get around that, I'll need to cut 2 holes. One in the piece that fits over the stack and another U shaped hole near the edges of the folding pieces at the hinge.

I'll then have to have a cover to close the hole when the cover isn't folded.

Is it worth it ?
Nope, not in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There has to be a way to do this...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Why dont you do side exit exhaust before the rear axel

·
WFO 4life
263 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why dont you do side exit exhaust before the rear axel
a) I've run that setup for about 10 years.

b) I added air suspension to my cab and the cab strut goes where the exhaust used to.

Between the rear suspension and the cab strut, there isn't any free room between the back of the cab and the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Double yuck !

·
Registered
386 Posts
Dam I guess that is your only option haha. could you go to a soft tonneau cover? Iv seen a few guys run stacks throught soft ones

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I need a hard cover.

·
Registered
444 Posts
how about a hard cover for a short box, this piece removable and a fixed piece across the front where the stack goes through? hey Me2 i just got my old 4 link done last christmas worked great, 1 month later my kid wrote the truck off. i now have new truck and am trying to get my wifr to let me 4 link it as well.

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
If you need to keep stuff dry in the bed cutting a hole into the cover would also defeat the purpose of that as well id think unless it was sealed up perfectly

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how about a hard cover for a short box, this piece removable and a fixed piece across the front where the stack goes through?
That would work, except that I have a short box already. And its very difficult to shorten the lid because its a tri fold design. Each section would have to be shortened a bit. And the way it works right now I can leave the lid on and pull my 5er which is extremely handy. If I move it back 6" the pin box will hit the lid.

hey Me2 i just got my old 4 link done last christmas worked great,
Pictures, man, we need pictures !

1 month later my kid wrote the truck off. i now have new truck and am trying to get my wifr to let me 4 link it as well.
Yeah, well mine got stolen a few weeks back. No damage to the suspension, though the Ford dealer doesn't know what to make of it. Presently negotiating with insurance.

What bags did you end up using ?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I vote for side fender...

[/QUOTE

Like the Dodge in the pictures above ? No thanks. I'll cut my topper before I do that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts