Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I want to put stacks on my rig but with the height of my truck, the height that I want them and the height of my horse trailer when I tow I'm going to get fumes right in the trailer windows. I need to figure out how to put some kinda bypass system so when I'm towing the horse trailer I can run the exhaust out the back instead of the stacks. I've checked around town and the couple guys I've talked to says I'm going to have a hard time finding anything in a 4". Any advise on how to do this and where to go for the bypass part. I talked to one guys and he said years ago his dad did this but he didn't know anything about how it was done. Thanks in advance. Traci

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I think Joe has an electric dump for his exhaust. You could run your exhaust right out the side in front of your rear tire & skip going over the axle.
If you look at this picture you can see a hint of smoke coming out of his tail pipe. If this is the truck I'm thinking of he has a cut of for his stacks & still ran a regular exhaust with a muffler out the back to keep the locals happy.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
most cutouts arent 4 inches though. and the problem with a cutout is it doesnt stop the flow from the original pipe. it just opens up another way for the exhaust to escape. to do what she wants you really need to find something that will close off the exhaust to the stacks and open it to the other piping of choice. it will most likely require to valves.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Another option to keep the exhaust away from your horses would be to run them wayyyyy over the cab. Something like a set of 5 foot stacks would work just fine.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Send a PM to JD Wop, he's got a rear exit tailpipe with a set of stacks. Wide Open Performance built his set-up, maybe he could shed some light on the subject

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that's what I'm looking for. Killing the stacks completly when I'm towing my horse trailer
most cutouts arent 4 inches though. and the problem with a cutout is it doesnt stop the flow from the original pipe. it just opens up another way for the exhaust to escape. to do what she wants you really need to find something that will close off the exhaust to the stacks and open it to the other piping of choice. it will most likely require to valves.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Hi Traci

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol I have only 7 1/2" inch clearance from my cab roof and my carport. I'd say something would have to give and I bet it wouldn't be the carport lol
Another option to keep the exhaust away from your horses would be to run them wayyyyy over the cab. Something like a set of 5 foot stacks would work just fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sadly I'm very set on the idea
How set are you on having stacks? Since a good aftermarket exhaust that dumps in the conventional location flows plenty well enough to keep EGT's down, the hassle of installing stacks (fouling up the usefulness of your bed in the process), figuring out some way to install a cutout, then remembering to flip back and forth isn't worth the arguable "cool" factor to having stacks.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
What is the hight difference between the truck and trailer?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have big horses so the inside the trailer floor to roof is 7'8" (not including tire and rim size). I'd say my truck roof is 7'4". I had it hooked up the other day and if you look at the height I want the stacks (just slighly above the roof) it lines up pretty close to the trailer windows
What is the hight difference between the truck and trailer?

·
Who is Obama?
1,779 Posts
I want to do the same thing as Traci to keep soot of my boat and fumes away from my horses... If there was a manual version of what Joe has that would be pretty cool, two butterflies so all of the exhaust is diverted to either pipe.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have big horses so the inside the trailer floor to roof is 7'8" (not including tire and rim size). I'd say my truck roof is 7'4". I had it hooked up the other day and if you look at the height I want the stacks (just slighly above the roof) it lines up pretty close to the trailer windows
Have you considered 48" tall stacks insted of 36". I have been looking at them to put the outlet far enough past the roof line so the sound does not bother my kids in the back seat. That hight may put them high enough that you wont have to worry about the fumes bothering the horses.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Traci, The redneck Hack side of me says a 4" Ball valve of somesorts (one that does not have teflon seals ) would work hehe! :D

Hell maybe a big Gate Valve even................Hey girl thought you had short horses ???? :doh:

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Just run your truck in the lowest tow setting.....And with my Aussie tips it seems that the majority of the smoke rolls over the tailgate and down to about bumper height.........IMHO I would just ditch the stacks and go with an MBRP exhaust.....To much hassle just for the "cool facter" as someone else stated

·
<----Simply the best.
3,594 Posts
I would ditch the horses lol

How much of a difference would turnouts make compared to miter or flat top stacks?

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts

How much of a difference would turnouts make compared to miter or flat top stacks?
Telling a woman to ditch her horses is a bad idea ! :gun:

I know one woman who would ditch her boyfreind before her horses she says her horses are smarter ! :D

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts

:badidea: Stroker, that's the LAST thing I'd tell Traci. She's cool & has some very good looking horses. (She looks pretty tough too & I wouldn't want to get her mad) :bowfast:

We must take this question as a challenge...."How to have the best of both exhausts." I admit there are a few times I wish I had a side can, the rest of the time I'd rather have the stacks. I think instead of just giving up & going to one way or the other we need to think of a way to have both! :D

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
To answer the other question even with the turnout stacks pointed out the sides it still sprays the whole back of the truck just like the miters do....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts