Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning PSN,
I have recently noticed on cold starts a quick squeal at start up. I assume it has something to do with my turbo, as it starts normally, but the turbo takes a few seconds to spool. It seems as soon as it squeals, the turbo starts spooling up.

Is this a big deal? turbo going south? once started, seems completely normal. I haven't checked for any play yet, going to do so today. truck has 150K on her.

As always, any insight is greatly appreciated!

Also, I have recently done a 4" turbo back exhaust and noticed a few more turbo farts than with the stock exhaust. Mostly when towing. Should i be alarmed?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have same problem with 04. It is an exhaust leak at the collectors off manifold into the y pipes or the metal gasket in between the right up and the left one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
nope had an 04 that had a squeal at start up once stuff warmed up and expanded it didn't squeal. tightened the #### out of the y pipe bolts squeal went away.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i am just trying to rule out quick and easy fixes people would never think a squeal would come from. i thought the bearings were toasted in turbo but turbine was loose with no tightness. fins did not hit housing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm, nope not quite. It starts up just fine and for about 5 seconds it sounds almost like a gasser then a quick high pitched squeal, and immediately after you hear the turbo hissing like normal.

That knock sounds rough!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts