Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so before i even start on the main problem..

truck is a 2004 f250 6.0L. 152k. i just purchased it a few months ago. i took the cat and muffler out and replaced with 4" pipe. its got a edge juice w/ attitude cs in it. i found out that my egr valve, oil cooler, egr cooler were all plugged up. so i took it to the power shop in enumclaw washington. 2600 dollars later i had a bulletproof egr delete, new oem oil cooler, new oem fuel pressure regulator, intake was taken off and cleaned out as well as turbo all with new gaskets and seals. new oil drain tube. and then the pcm was updated so no more buzzing after truck turns off. before truck went into shop i was experiencing some surging at high rpm if i was getting on it. i thought it was the ficm, but they ran tests nothing was coming up with the ficm. got the truck back ran great. no more surging. then a few weeks later it had a rough start. multiple cranks and then turned into high pitch cranking then barely started. rough idle, code came up for ficm performance and cylinder 1 contribution. after running for a minute, it fixed itself. well i didnt have the money to fix it right away considering i just spent 2600 dollars. the surging was happening again at high rpm. it has rough starts every now and then and will throw a ficm code as well. i just clear it. now..

this has happened twice:
driving on the freeway, starts missing a cylinder. eventually looses all power and we (my family) pull over. truck wont start just cranks. so i prime it, prime it, prime it more. cranks and crank i floor it and finally i get some fuel and she fires up. rough idle first time, regular idle second time. same codes came up. so im like, okay no christmas presents for me or the wife, gotta fix the truck being its our only vehicle.

now to the main problem:
im washing the truck in a bay, i decide i'll spray the motor down real quick as long as im now spraying excessively on any wiring harnesses or into the air filter. well i go to leave and it wont start, just cranks and cranks. nothing. no high pitch cranking or nothing. first, the tuner says it cant connect with my pcm. so i check my connections, turns out there was some water that leaked into the main harness. i figured it was sealed considering its under the hood, but hey thats just me. anyways. i finally get it to connect and it still wont crank. tuner says its on level "T" (stock setting just transmission is tuned) i change it to different levels (1-5) but it still reads T on the power level. weird...so the codes that came up were "lost connection to ficm" and "pcm incompatable with ficm" or something like that. so i figured, #### the ficm is gone. so i get it towed home. i go to the junkyard this morning and buy a used ficm out of a 2004 excursion. same motor but with 80k on it. got it for 350. figured itll be a quick fix and i can repair mine for a back up or to sell it. so i get the ficm put in, and i put everything back together for the most part. (batteries are charging during the removal and installation) the intake is on, but not completely sealed, but is on. maf plugged in, only thing not it is the air filter and its cover. i didnt want to put everything back together and then have to take it all off if it didnt work. so i go to start the truck and starts right up, idles for about 2 seconds then dies. try to start it again but batteries got to low. so they keep charging. i try again and its a no go. just keeps cranking. ficm voltage is at 48v KOEO and while cranking. so we pull up my father in laws diesel, hook up both batteries to try to jump start it. but my battery voltage is still only 11v until it cranks then down to 9v. so i give up for a while and let them charge for a few hours. i go back and try to start it and it starts up again. this time ran for a good 7 seconds or so then died. didnt stumble, just as if i turned the key off. now it wont start again. so the batteries are charging again. i checked the ficm connections because even after clearing the codes those same two ficm codes keep showing up. i read on the forums that these are soft codes and that eventually i gotta get them programmed to the truck but it should still start being that its out of another truck. this ficm has the buzz tune, so im hearing the buzzing, im hearing the glow plugs, im hearing the injectors, im hearing my fuel pump prime, and im also hearing what ive never heard which is a loud weird buzzing coming from what ive read is the vacuum pump. i can feel it vibrating when i put my hand on it. it runs for like 30 seconds. its right behind the passenger battery. now the truck is a little low on fuel, but not low enough to be out of fuel. at least i dont think so..but ill be putting diesel in the tank tomorrow morning to see if maybe im just out of fuel haha. i tried to check the fuel filter on the top of motor to see if there was any fuel in it but of course the plastic broke on it. so i dont know how to get it off! i tend to have pretty bad luck on my days off. so thats pretty much the jest of it. im completely lost and dont have the money to throw it into a shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright so i just went to start it up again and it started. i revved it to about 2,000rpm and then same thing, just shut off. tried to start it again, nothing. again, nothing. again, nothing. batteries started to go down a little so i stopped, checked the codes again and now p0069-map/barometric sensor and p0236-something to do with the turbo.

now i just read that the p0236 code will come up if something is map related. so im going to unplug my map sensor and perhaps it might be wet, so i'll attempt to dry it out. tomorrow when its light out i'll inspect it and hopefully its dry and starts and stays running. if not i guess i'll go buy a new map sensor, hopefully that works. anybody have any input? other than i shouldnt ever spray down my motor ever again?

·
Registered
78 Posts
sounds to me your ficm is going bad. Your edge cs should be able to read the volts of the ficm. It should be pretty close to 48v if not you either gotta buy a new one or re solder the one that's on it. My truck the ficm was getting weak and it wouldn't start when cold. re soldered everything and it fires right up. There are threads on here how to do all this to, just search them up. Then for the cylinder 1 code. That should go away with the ficm after re soldering.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
Also, get the OEM fuel filter cap and not an aftermarket. Use the Lisle socket rather than a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar to get it off. The Lisle socket is $8 at ost autoparts stores.

The 03 and 04 model years had quite a few wire chaffing issues. Do some searching, folks have posted pics of the common areas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I originally thought it was the ficm so I put in a ficm from a 04 excursion. Tested it and its good. It keeps firing up then shutting off after 5 seconds. Not dying its just as if I turned the key off. Volts of the ficm are 48. Batteries charged overnight so I unplugged the map to see if there's any water but none. I think I'm going to unplug my cs and plug everything back into stock. Its already tuned back to stock. Perhaps the wiring from my map to the tuner is messed up? Can't get a new map til tomorrow so I'm trying to figure out any other options.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just because you have 48V KOEO and 48V while cranking DOES NOT mean your FICM is good. You need to have the FICM tested by a shop or buy a scangauge tool and test it yourself. The voltage test for the FICM are just that all they do is verfiy you have the correct voltage on from your FICM you can have the correct voltage on a bad FICM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand that we tested the ficm. Its good. Turns out the tuner is messed up. I took it out and truck started and stayed running. Ill be calling edge tomorrow so I can send it in.

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
And the moral of the story is, Buy an SCT with custom tunes and Stay the hell away from edge. There is a reason 95% of people on this site preach about custom tuning.

·
Administrator
32,966 Posts
I would pull the edge and try it again I would also get some electrical contact cleaner for the PCM connections while you have them apart removing the Edge to try starting without it

Pressure washing the motor not so good I keep mine spotless but use minimal water

·
Registered
474 Posts
whats wrong with washing the motor? I do it all the time. Have never had a problem. Shoot I even spray it down with degreaser and then wash it with water. Never a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the moral of the story is, Buy an SCT with custom tunes and Stay the hell away from edge. There is a reason 95% of people on this site preach about custom tuning.
well i was going to get the sct livewire and get custom tunes through spartan tuning or innovative, but the truck came with the old style juice w/attitude but the screen was broken. edge said it was still under partial warranty so i got a brand new juice w/attitude cs for $250. couldnt turn that down. but im thinking now maybe after it comes back fixed i'll sell it for like 5 or 6 hundred. thing sells for like 900 brand new. the only thing ive heard about the livewire is that you cant look at your oil and coolant temps at the same time. and that the face is pretty old and cheesy looking. im not sure ive never seen one in person. my cousin has an 03 kr and uses the handheld sct w/custom tunes and uses an edge device for monitoring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts