Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday I had some free time after work and decided I have had enough of chrome and decided to bedliner my front bumper and grille, trying to remove the J-nuts was a PITA, snapped 3 of them thanks to dirt in the threads, but it was worth it in the end. I love the new look, helps I hate chrome with a passion lol

Before

Prepping

After I got done spraying them

Finished

Then yesterday I was able to swap out my ugly rear bumper for a bumper off of an 06 F250

Before

After

Now just need to get new headlights and wheels to get rid of everything that is chrome or polished

Reactions: KTMDirtFace

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
very nice!

Did you "prep" the chrome?
It may stick for a while being bed liner, but nothing sprayed on chrome is permanent!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prepped it as much as I could using the materials my job has, I only do truck beds and other painted surfaces. I know to do it right would mean sandblasting it and going that route, but I plan to get a full front end replacement, so this bumper is only temporary

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
copy that
One of the reasons I use like Duplicolor spray can bedliner on parts like this is because they are so easy to touch up and no spray booth needed!
(chrome/ss parts need it often, once a year or so)
Scratching the surface of the chrome is your best bet then clean clean clean to make it stick, even then it still does not really stick
plus scuffing up the chrome is a PITA not easy to do alot of elbow grease

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya there. I use a DA buffer with a cup brush to scratch the hell out of the chrome (saves time an alot less elbow grease involved) then use lacquer thinner and wiped it down

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good. I like the texture. What specific bedliner paint did you use?
Sorry for the late response, I don't think I got an email letting me know you commented on here. I used RhinoPro bedliner

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tailgate was actually like that when I bought the truck, I haven't done anything to it cause I'm going to get a '08 tailgate

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
That's a slick looking truck. Didn't go too nuts on the lift and I'm helplessly fond of the color green.....be it cash or camo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mr_Andy. Unfortunitely I can't take credit for the lift, it was on the truck when I bought it. I'm just now modifying it how I want it. I still have plans for new headlights, wheels, 08 tailgate, extend the front driveshaft and few other items

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks great. I want to dechrome my 16 may leave wheels alone though. Paint on front bumpers doesn't last I know from 2013 with same color. Northeast roads are horrible, salt cinders rocks old asphalt etc. rhino lining on bumpers is probably best option

Nice job btw

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! I'm slowly getting rid of all the chrome/polished parts on the truck. Just trying to find new headlights that I want that dont suck. New wheels will come around tax time most likely.

As for rhino lining your bumpers, your best bet is to have them sandblasted to get all the chrome off then have them bedlinered. I actually do spray-in bedliners for a Ford dealership. I didn't bother sand blasting mine because they're only temporary til I can get my hands on a Thunderstruck pre-runner bumper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts