Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1997 f 250 4 speed auto 3/4 4wheel dr. gauge started going nuts and slowly quit all together. trany wont shift right with out it .so i changed the sensor in the rear end no luck same thing dont work. all fuse s are fine
any help woud be great

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
It is the PSOM inside the instrument cluster. The only fix for that is to replace the cluster. You can grab one out of a junk yard to get it running again. It shouldn't cost you more than 20 bucks. There are two trim pieces on the dash that clip in place. You pry them off and remove the screws behind them. Then rull down then out on the black bezel assembly. Then there are four screws that are black that run around the instrument cluster. Remove them and pull the cluster out. If you have tilt wheel you may have to lower the wheel. There is a small cable for your gear selector that unhooks from a tab under the dash on the column. Remove the cable then unscrew the 7mm screw which holds the adjuster for that cable and gently remove the cable with the cluster. Unplug the wiring harness. To install new cluster reverse procedure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok dumb ? how do you get the head light switch pull handle off is there a button or ? do most junk yards have these clusters?? and what years enter change ? mine is a 1997

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Oops. Forgot about the headlight switch. If you look at the back edge of the plastic handle on the headlight switch there is a small metal tab. Use a hook tool or small screwdriver and pull toward yourself while depressing the tab. The knob will come right off. Yes most yards will have atleast one powerstroke truck in them. The clusters didn't go bad nearly as much as the vans did. The interchange is from 1992-1997. Basically as long as the cluster looks like yours it will work. Look on the website Search Results and those are the currently listed clusters in your state.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
i have a 1997 f 250 4 speed auto 3/4 4wheel dr. gauge started going nuts and slowly quit all together. trany wont shift right with out it .so i changed the sensor in the rear end no luck same thing dont work. all fuse s are fine
any help woud be great
Did you happen to check the wires for the VSS in the rear axle?

Might wanna do that before you go tearing about you dash.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
It is the PSOM inside the instrument cluster. The only fix for that is to replace the cluster. You can grab one out of a junk yard to get it running again. It shouldn't cost you more than 20 bucks. There are two trim pieces on the dash that clip in place. You pry them off and remove the screws behind them. Then rull down then out on the black bezel assembly. Then there are four screws that are black that run around the instrument cluster. Remove them and pull the cluster out. If you have tilt wheel you may have to lower the wheel. There is a small cable for your gear selector that unhooks from a tab under the dash on the column. Remove the cable then unscrew the 7mm screw which holds the adjuster for that cable and gently remove the cable with the cluster. Unplug the wiring harness. To install new cluster reverse procedure.
I really think that would be is last resort.

mine did the same thing before and it turned out to be a section of wire that was no longer copper.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I guess that since I work on vehicles all the time as my second full time job that I assume, which is not a good thing I know, that the person working on the vehicle would have exhausted that avenue first before asking. It could in fact be wiring. I agree with rob. Check the wiring first then if that isn't it the cluster is the only other posibility.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im guessing that a guy would have to pull the rear cover .and that some thing would be on the ring gear ???? if it is the wire how does one go about fixing it ?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Check the VSS on the top of the rear axle first. You don't have to take the rear cover off.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
im guessing that a guy would have to pull the rear cover .and that some thing would be on the ring gear ???? if it is the wire how does one go about fixing it ?
well i had found a section that was repaired poorly and didnt have any of that plastic junk covering the wires. I just cut the wires there and found the bad section, to repair it I just wired in a new section of wire.

·
Bushwacker
269 Posts
I've done a couple of fixes on obs' speedometers and all i did was re run the sensor wires because the originals corroded to s***. Expose a piece of wire and see if its corroded internally. If so it would cause bad signal if not none. You must replace this wire with really fine strand wire as its better for signal and low current, and will last longer. But on one 97 Superduty that was a POS used for landscraping I just used trailer wire and it worked fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts