Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some paintable bumpers for my '08 and I'll be ditching my chrome ones in a few days.

I plan on sanding the bumpers down to smooth out some scratches and to give the paint something to bite onto.

I've had good success with Bulldog adhesion promoter but I'm wondering if there is a special primer I should use before the basecoat?

I've seen 2k(?) primers used on chrome bumpers. I've heard good things, but these aren't chrome so I don't know if there is that same need.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I would use a self etching prime on bare metal but Y2k primer is a filler prime. I would use IMROM on the front bumper to hold up against the stone chips a lil better than base/clear

·
Registered
94 Posts
The paint guy that did mine just used primer and standard base clear process. It has held up pretty well so far, but there are a few chips.

·
Banned
132 Posts
I would use a self etching prime on bare metal but Y2k primer is a filler prime. I would use IMROM on the front bumper to hold up against the stone chips a lil better than base/clear
What's IMROM? I'm going to be painting my bumper as soon as I get my Sata, but def. want to know about this stuff.
I asked my paint supply store and he mention some thing and was wondering if it's the same.

Thanks,
Marc

·
Banned
132 Posts
IMRON is a single stage paint made by DUPONT. It is what tractor trailers, heavy equipment, Planes, you name it is painted with. SUPER durable.

Imron® Polyurethane Enamels | DuPont Performance Coatings - appp20.asp.dupont.com
Thanks a bunch Brad! My paint supply store I have an account with doesn't carry DuPont which is a bummer, but there's a DuPont distributor around the corner from them. :D

So they obviously can match paint codes with the IMRON, so I will be checking on this product.
Heck it may even be cost effective for my work.

Again I apprciate the info.

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
I used some rattle can Krylon primer and their Ultra Flat black (part of their camo paint) and I'm surprised at how well it has held up.

I used 1 can of primer and 2 cans of the black. I sanded the bumper first with 80 or 100 grit to smooth it out. As I sprayed each coat I would wet sand the bumper after a day of sitting. If you looked at it you wouldn't know it's a rattle can job at all.

This was done on an OEM paintable bumper not a chrome one I converted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts