Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally got my tunes updated today. after talking with spartan they said with a stock trans absoulty do not use the 350 tune. is that true or are they covering there but for lawsuits? has anyone ever ran it with a stock turck and if so do they not think its a good idea also?

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Do you still have a stock transmission Patrick? If you do, that is kind of surprising considering all of the other extra stuff you have on the truck. Your truck has to be pushing 675-700 easy on fuel.

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok.is that just because of the way the shift points are setup or why? Is 40hp that much diffrant then the 310 tune? Because so far my trans has survived off nitrous adding more then 40hp.

Ps thanks to everyone at spartan! I'm not very knolagable with computers and it took a few emails and phonecalls for me to get everything updated but everyone there was very patient and helpful!

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol ya its still stock and after each thing I do I say that's it til after the trans but a lot of it I threw on the week before the dpc and some of it was since the motor was out and I was rebiulding it I was like might as well since I'm in here. Trans hopefully will last til spring then I will do that.

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as hp not sure last time on the dyno 575ish on fuel. That was before a few things but from what I understand my turbos will only suport 650ish on fuel?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I guess this supports the view that you can run big horsepower tunes on a stock tranny if u are smart with it. Good to know, cause you are always hearing about trannys blowing up. Still never tried the 350 myself. Figure there is a reason the people who make the tune say not to use it on a stock trans.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
As far as hp not sure last time on the dyno 575ish on fuel. That was before a few things but from what I understand my turbos will only suport 650ish on fuel?
Rudy's shop truck (the crew cab) made 730 on fuel with Tow Powers and Elite 110's. I would assume that's a little high going by other dyno runs made on his dyno, but I don't think 700 is a far stretch for that setup. I would guess that your truck is in the vicinity of 675-700 with 100 HP injectors and Tow Powers.

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't say I'm smart with it lol. Maybe just lucky so far. The 310 has been by daily driver tune but I don't drive it easy either. As excited as I am so try the 350 I spose ill proly wait

·
Registered
544 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm smart with it lol. Maybe just lucky so far. The 310 has been by daily driver tune but I don't drive it easy either. As excited as I am so try the 350 I spose ill proly wait
Don' be scared, it's only money LOL

·
Registered
250 Posts
I ran the 350 for a few days. The low end is night an day to the 310. top end seems about the same. I am another one milking the stock trans for all it has. I firmly believe its all in how you drive it. I am sure if I tried I could blow up a brand new trans in a few days on a 250 tune.

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol it is only moneybut when you don't have any left then its only a stock trans! Got way more money into the truck then I ever planned.

Ipkyss, I drove it easy to work on the 350 and the low end is insaine. Did not get on it hard tho and proly won't til I get a trans

·
401 Posts
On any of the high HP tunes it is not a matter of if, but when. It is all in the tranny programming to make it live to a certain point but even then you are on borrowed time. This is the reason why I have not loaded a race tune in mine. Like everyone I like HP, but I know that I cannot control my right foot with my brain when a dumb ass is next too me. If I know I dont have it I dont try it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Lol it is only moneybut when you don't have any left then its only a stock trans! Got way more money into the truck then I ever planned.

Ipkyss, I drove it easy to work on the 350 and the low end is insaine. Did not get on it hard tho and proly won't til I get a trans
I was not running mine WOT through a shift. I would let it lock a gear then get on it. I love the big tunes for the low end mainly. Didn't care for the injector rattle myself. The low end is enough to make about anyone say wtf.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What do you guys think about pulling with the 350 tune? Ive pulled with the 310 and liked it but i didnt know if i should try the 350 and on the 350 is your rail preasure staying up?

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tbssimmons, the idiot that pulls up next to me is the readon I dd on high hp tunes so I have it when I need it cause I can't control my right foot either lol. If I had the tune on the fly it would be diferant which is the only downfall of the spartan but I do love it anyways.

Ibkyss, I agree with the low end feeling and I know most ppl don't like it because yes it is just wasted fuel but I love how you barely have to touch the gas to get quite a bit of smoke. Cause I like to see that coal pour!

·
401 Posts
What do you guys think about pulling with the 350 tune? Ive pulled with the 310 and liked it but i didnt know if i should try the 350 and on the 350 is your rail preasure staying up?
I would not suggest towing much weight on any tune with that much HP. If you are then it must not be much weight, on flat ground or you are REALLY easy with the go pedal. I would say grossing (Truck and Trailer) maxing 15000 range then you can get away with it. But get in the 28000+ and tunes make a difference on steep hills. The most I have grossed without a "Tow" tune is in the 17000 range and I dont think I would tow any of the hills around me with it. The problem I see is the EGT's keep climbing going up the hills with a lot of weight trying to hold the speed. So on a "Tow" tune I have seen north of 1300 climbing hills.

Tbssimmons, the idiot that pulls up next to me is the readon I dd on high hp tunes so I have it when I need it cause I can't control my right foot either lol. If I had the tune on the fly it would be diferant which is the only downfall of the spartan but I do love it anyways.
These trucks do make power, even with the tunes I have ran. I am waiting till I pull the trigger on pulling the cab to install some items that I can depend more on them not breaking with my right foot.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
thats my question how come we dont get tune on fly tunes ??? its sux u gta load tune and wait for the trans relearn deal !
Shift on the fly tunes run the same trans strategy for all the tunes. While when you load a tune, it is also programming your tcm per tune for the best calibration. If you want shift on the fly, call H&S.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would not suggest towing much weight on any tune with that much HP. If you are then it must not be much weight, on flat ground or you are REALLY easy with the go pedal. I would say grossing (Truck and Trailer) maxing 15000 range then you can get away with it. But get in the 28000+ and tunes make a difference on steep hills. The most I have grossed without a "Tow" tune is in the 17000 range and I dont think I would tow any of the hills around me with it. The problem I see is the EGT's keep climbing going up the hills with a lot of weight trying to hold the speed. So on a "Tow" tune I have seen north of 1300 climbing hills.

These trucks do make power, even with the tunes I have ran. I am waiting till I pull the trigger on pulling the cab to install some items that I can depend more on them not breaking with my right foot.
I regularly gross 20-23k towing with the 250-300 tunes on the highway. Pulling some good hills sometimes 6-7% grades climbing for 5+ minutes. Egt has never been an issue. Trans has done it all fine. Motor has been repaired.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts