Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Flat Bed and keep my spare on the bed against the cab.... My buddy has a "Hitch Gate" to keep his 35" spare out back by the tailgate.... the hitch gate reduces his towing capacity down to 7500#... Stamped on the gate as such. Another guy at Home Depot came by to check out the hitch gate and ask some questions... just wandering what you guys with spares that no longer fit under the bed do with your spare to keep you bed open...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I havnt done it yet, but I'm playing with ideas in my head on how to do it to begin with. My way would be to mount the tire on the front of the truck like the old school 50's/60's models fords. My thoughts are (since I will be putting a front reciever on the truck anyway) to fab up a hitch / steel plate adapter to mount the rim direct to the metal plate and weld that to the hitch itself, then just slide it into the front receiver. Like I said, its not been done by me yet, I dont carry a spare cause its a pain keeping it under the bed, and I think I should really put one back on lol. Well thats my two cents.
matt z

·
I Like Red Cows
364 Posts
I havnt done it yet, but I'm playing with ideas in my head on how to do it to begin with. My way would be to mount the tire on the front of the truck like the old school 50's/60's models fords. My thoughts are (since I will be putting a front reciever on the truck anyway) to fab up a hitch / steel plate adapter to mount the rim direct to the metal plate and weld that to the hitch itself, then just slide it into the front receiver. Like I said, its not been done by me yet, I dont carry a spare cause its a pain keeping it under the bed, and I think I should really put one back on lol. Well thats my two cents.
matt z
My dad and I have talked about mounting it on the front also, but won't a guy loose that cool air coming in the front to help cool the motor? Thats why we have never done it. We also plan on slapping a flatbed on the back of our '96 OBS. We are currently converting the rear 19 Gal tank to the 38 Gal and so mounting under the pickups outta the question. We throw our spare up into the nose of the gooseneck stock trailer and pray that nothing happens haha. I'd like to know some good locations also. And I would also like to know what they guy who started this thread means by a tailgate thing? Pics would be great since I'm a visual kind of person.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I dont see that it will affect it to much it willbe lowered some so's its not smack dab in front of the radiator but lowered some. I dont have to worry bout intercoolers or anything as i dont have one, Eventually I will get my flatbed and I as well will be doing the 38 gal rear tank. The front is already removed. Push comes to shove i will give it a try and let you all know how it works out.
matt z

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is exactly the hitch my friend has, and it lessens his towable capacity to 7500 GVW, not much of an option for me, and not that attractive with the flat bed. His tire is higher than the tailgate by at least 3 inches....
I too have thought about the front reciever with tiremount... I don't mind the look. In the winters it may even be an advantage.

I have a 9.5 foot flat bed on my truck, i have a close line tightner to keep it fastened to the headache rack... works well but if i need the entire bed then I have to take it off and usually throw it on top of the load or leave it behind...which makes me nervous.

thanks for the looks and inputs fella's.... keep 'em rollin

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
I had a tire chaulk mounted in my bed for a 37" tire. Kinda similar to what you'd see in a motorcycle trailer for the front tire of the bike. The chaulk can detach from the bed with one bolt and the only thing left is a 3/8" piece of flat steel shaped like a horse shoe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts