Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

which clutch to use?

• south bend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • valair

• pheonix friction

• sachs HD kit (no idea on power/towing ratings)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought and installed the clutch at the end of april 2018. put about 75k miles on it and worked great till it didnt.

got on the freeway for 15 miles. go to get off and cant push the clutch in all the way. i only replaced it because it was oil soaked (sachs 8spring hub design, because of a hpop head o-ring that ended up soaking the clutch) it was working fine prior to that.

ended up the hub broke leaving a spring wedged between the disc and pressure plate. theres another crack too.

i know they only have one year warranty but you can clearly see theres barley any wear on the disc and pressure plate

you can even see the machine marks on the flywheel from when i installed it. im still waiting for a call back but im pretty upset about this. its obvious i havent abused it. i use 4low whenever i have to back a big trailer up.

im not sure if i even want another SBC. i dont like the LUK 4spring hub and ive seen a few failures of that style posted on other forums. i obviously dont trust the 3 spring hub design.

now im looking at valair. i thought about a oem style HD sachs clutch as i never plan to do more than AC injectors.
anyone have info on those style clutches holding capability?

FYI my truck is 2003 CCLB DRW 7.3L stock besides full exhaust, intake and a hydra tuner which i dont run at high HP because im in california. i dont like smoke and i want my truck to last. plus 7.3L stick is kind of a pig at low RPM.

ive called a few places and most still recommend SBC and act like im an idiot for wanting anything else.
im not into replacing a clutch every two years. thank jebus i can do the work myself.

yes i know my truck is oily but the pan actually doesnt leak. its the turbo drain. and some left over from when i had the HPOP line leak. i also have new international up-pipe kit to do while im in there. the engine has 329k and doesnt burn oil!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So update they're going to build me a new clutch with the organic material but with the spicer style eight spring hub that he says is the strongest one they have. he's giving me a special rate on it. he said that Ford's for some reason have a problem with eating up the hubs (not all the time.) which I think is funny because Cummins makes so much more instant torque than a V8 but I'm assuming it's the pulses of the firing on the V8 versus the smooth ones of an inline 6 that causes the hub failures. they're going to get it shipped out today now I just need to do my up pipes and change my turbo pedestal and do my intake plenum inserts.

So I'm really impressed with the customer service and the ability after 2 years they gave me credit. granted you can obviously see from the pictures that I didn't abuse the clutch. I hope I won't have to talk to him again for a while

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
pretty common failure for that clutch

So update they're going to build me a new clutch with the organic material but with the spicer style eight spring hub that he says is the strongest one they have. he's giving me a special rate on it. he said that Ford's for some reason have a problem with eating up the hubs (not all the time.) which I think is funny because Cummins makes so much more instant torque than a V8 but I'm assuming it's the pulses of the firing on the V8 versus the smooth ones of an inline 6 that causes the hub failures. they're going to get it shipped out today now I just need to do my up pipes and change my turbo pedestal and do my intake plenum inserts.

So I'm really impressed with the customer service and the ability after 2 years they gave me credit. granted you can obviously see from the pictures that I didn't abuse the clutch. I hope I won't have to talk to him again for a while

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow really? he mentioned the Ford's eat up the hubs. SO WHY THE HELL DO THEY SELL IT? he built me this comp style spicer 8 spring hub but with organic material. dude said it would have neoprene spring covers and it didn't have them. he also said he wasn't sure if it was going to be a puck style or solid ring. this was the kinda stuff I encountered on my first purchase. these guys are supposed to be the top on their class but yet don't know what they're selling.

pretty common failure for that clutch

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello, I’m having the same problems with my SB clutches. I’m about to be on my 3rd 1944-60K. I can hear it starting to scrape when in neutral. I remember being told that this would be the last clutch I ever buy, yeah right!! I tow a gooseneck to all my jobsites . Been stranded a few times and had to get towed to town sometimes over a hundred miles. The spring is always the culprit. Maybe I should upgrade to this 8 spring. How much was it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
wow really? he mentioned the Ford's eat up the hubs. SO WHY THE HELL DO THEY SELL IT? he built me this comp style spicer 8 spring hub but with organic material. dude said it would have neoprene spring covers and it didn't have them. he also said he wasn't sure if it was going to be a puck style or solid ring. this was the kinda stuff I encountered on my first purchase. these guys are supposed to be the top on their class but yet don't know what they're selling.

No-sprk, did you get this clutch installed? Can you please leave a review, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well, this sucks mightily. Anyone else have Southbend clutch problems?

·
Administrator
8,316 Posts
I don't but I bought the twin disk. I do know the instructions say not to down shift whole coming to a stop. Which is what I think causes this problem. If you do down shift try and match you rpms to where you think it will be when you let the clutch out to not hit it too hard.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts