Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruising down the road yesterday morning and the truck suddenly drops to an idle..... had no pedal what so ever for about a minute then it just died and rolled to a stop ! Wouldn't start after that. It sounded as if it wasn't getting fuel. Towed it home.

I changed the fuel filters this evening and after many tries got it to start. It started very slow like it wasn't getting enough fuel. After a couple seconds it idled pretty decent but still has no pedal..... just idled no matter what you did to the pedal. It's about 50 degrees out and it did go into the higher rpm idle for about 2 seconds then it backed right down to the regular idle rpm and sounded like it was going to stall again.

It is throwing no codes according to my Edge...... any ideas as to what's going on here ? Possible fuel pump ?! I have no fuel pressure gauge and the truck is stock !

·
Registered
193 Posts
can you hear the fuel pump running when you cycle the key on? also may have a injector stuck open allowing compression to bleed into the fuel rail and aerating the fuel system. remove the secondary filter cap and crank the engine over and watch for air bubbles in the filter housing. if you have air bubbles in the fuel you can then remove the supply lines one at a time from the housing and retest to find which side is aerating the fuel

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the fuel pump comes on and you can hear everything cycle as normal.

I had it towed to a mechanic...... so far he hasn't found the issue and the $$$ clock is ticking :mad:. I'm going to relay your advice. It might save me some $$$..... might not.

Wouldn't that throw a code though ?!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Unless you like cleaning up a mess, don't take the secondary ff cap off and crank it. You have electronic problems, probably your fuel pedal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It came up in conversation that it might be a throttle control module/sensor. But I would think it would throw a code for that too.

I used my Edge to read the non existent codes. I read somewhere that while they can read codes they are not the best tool for doing so..... I have yet to talk toe the dude looking at the truck. He started on it this morning I guess and I haven't heard from him yet :eek:...... not good in my mind or my wallet ! :pointlaugh:

·
Registered
196 Posts
might want to check for ficm codes and your voltage...when cold and hot

·
Registered
193 Posts
if you don't turn the key on and crank the engine by jumping battery voltage to the lead to the starter you don't make a mess like stated above. this is the air bubble test straight from the ford workshop manual. a accelerator pedal would have nothing to do with how the engine runs and would throw a code. a ficm would also mosty like have a code, either p0611 or some injector circuit low voltage codes. I would bet you have a aerated fuel system.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,325 Posts
Unfortunately, about half the time, a FICM problem does not throw a FICM specific code.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,325 Posts
unfortunately, that half of the time you don't get a FICM code, the FICM is not really your problem.
I would have to respectfully disagree with you. Many times the voltages are down enough to affect the performance but not enough to get the FICM codes. I do agree you might get an injector code (or actually maybe several), but certainly the P0611 is not a sure bet. Also, the Edge is probably not 100% on reading the codes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
this condition this guy is describing sounds nothing like at FICM. bismic you are correct in that the voltage can be down without any FICM codes, but very rarely have I had a low voltage FICM that was causing performace issure where it be cold starting or just a rough idle without injector low voltage codes or P0611.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just talked to the mechanic..... seems to think it's a high pressure oil issue somewhere. He pulled a few codes, cam sensor, crank sensor, something else..... all he states are related to the HPO system. So..... he is investigating that avenue at the moment.

CHACHING !!! :pointlaugh:

I guess what I read about the Edge not being great at pulling codes is true ?!

·
mmmm...beer....
418 Posts
I would be a good idea to pull the Edge (if you havent already) for troubleshooting purposes. I learned the hard way that an Edge can make these trucks do all sorts of funky things, even when set to "stock". :doh:

My (mostly uneducated) guess is on either the ICP or FICM here, but pull that Edge to make sure it's not the cause of your troubles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When the truck quit I didn't have the Edge to monitor anything. Actually I ordered one the same day just before the truck quit thinking I'll do some good for the beast monitoring things before something bad happened..... day late and a whole lot of dollars short !

When I got it the next day I plugged it in just to read some codes...... needless to say it didn't pick up any current or historic codes. That's when I decided to just ship her off to "The Man" for a diagnosis.

·
Registered
18 Posts
been reading alot about 04 cam sensors going out.
cost is said to be around 30$.guess that would be a cheap check.
have to say sounds like hpop leak. good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
been reading alot about 04 cam sensors going out.
cost is said to be around 30$.guess that would be a cheap check.
have to say sounds like hpop leak. good luck.
So far all the sensors check out good...... it seems to be leading towards a HPOP leak at this point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts