Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I get a lot of wind and road noise in my truck, and with the new single shot injectors and open intake I'm getting a lot of engine compartment noise as well. I'd like to do some cheap tricks to help quiet things down inside if possible. I don't have any compaints about the turbo singing though :D

I've got a bunch of latex tubing to put in all the door seals, I hear that makes a pretty good difference in road noise. But what else can I do? Any tips or pointers?

Someone mentioned some type of sound deadening panels that came on Excursions? Anyone know about these?

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
b-quiet sound matting is the stuff my buddy used and it was pretty awesome he has a 97 cc did the whole cab, hood (with the hood blanket mat they have) inside of the fenders and both sides of the firewall. its a ton of work too. im gonna do the hood mat on mine pretty soon since mine was a oil sponge!! errr

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
There is a few peices that are on the firewall and a huge one that goes under the truck from the firewamm pinchweld down just passed the trans. Also try painting the windsheild wiper trough.

·
I love you bigrpowr!
1,181 Posts
If you just want to kill the sound, you need to go easy on the peal and seal type deadener (black sticky stuff with aluminum backer) because that is ideally for vibrations and go heavy on the closed cell foam type sound deadeners. I would still use some of the Dynamat type product but no reason to cover the complete inside of the truck. I really like the Second Skin products. They have some nice products that are specific for certain areas of your vehicle. You could always just go with some basic closed cell foam from Ebay. There is an Ebay seller called foamforyou that has some good pricing. You could go with something like this, 1/4in foam or this, 1/8in foam. You will need something like a 3M super 77 adhesive spray to apply it.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Road, engine & exhaust noise arn't an issue with me, it's the rattles that drive me nuts! Seems like I fix one & another one pops up!

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking the door seal mods, and maybe something along the inside of the firewall.

I don't really notice how loud my truck is inside until I ride in my dads basically stock powerstroke.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Road, engine & exhaust noise arn't an issue with me, it's the rattles that drive me nuts! Seems like I fix one & another one pops up!
Mostly your rear springs and fenders. :poke:

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Mostly your rear springs and fenders. :poke:
You don't notice the fender unless your riding passenger in it. Don't even notice the rear springs unless you driving behind it. It's all of the rattles inside the cab!

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I have used both Second skin and Rammat products. Second Skin is the easier product to work with by far esp in areas like inside door panels. It was a big job but I do like the end results.

Tom

·
Just A Squirrel
644 Posts
Ive used B-quiet in my hotrod and the diesel very nice product and reasonable prices. Got it from e-gay.:ford:

·
Registered
143 Posts
rammat...also used some fatmat on the floor area...price/performace rammat is the way to go.

I have about $300-400 into it.

·
I love you bigrpowr!
1,181 Posts
I have used both Second skin and Rammat products. Second Skin is the easier product to work with by far esp in areas like inside door panels. It was a big job but I do like the end results.

Tom
I have used both as well and the Second Skin is easier to work with. I actually sold what I had left of the Rammat product and bought Second Skin for the rest of the truck. The back half is covered in Rammat. The Second Skin is more expensive but worth the price difference for me.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I pretty much agree with you. I think Rammat is ok for areas like the floor and back cab wall, etc, but even there it has a tendancy to be more messy and gets black stuff on your pants.

Tom

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I pretty much agree with you. I think Rammat is ok for areas like the floor and back cab wall, etc, but even there it has a tendancy to be more messy and gets black stuff on your pants.

Tom

Better than brown stuff in your pants.

·
I love you bigrpowr!
1,181 Posts

Tom

That was my main reason for selling the Rammat and buying Second Skin. I used two boxes of rubber gloves, ruined two rollers and two utility knives on 3/4's of a roll. I didn't really get any on my clothes or truck but it is very messy. I like the Second Skin product because it comes in more managable pcs and they don't seem to be as messy. The black tar like substance on the Rammat seems to get on everything and sticks instantly. That is one good thing about it though, it will not come off. I personally do not mind paying more for a what I think is a better product that is easier to work with.

·
Banned
1,822 Posts
how easy is dynomat to use i dont mind spending the money but i hate the mess this is a project im going to tackle during the winter?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts