Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7.3 2002 F350- when I take off or come to a stop (on occasion) I feel a pop or shift in the rear of the truck. Kind of like something is loose and shifting forward or backward. Seems to be coming from right side of rear- but not sure. I thought it might be U joints but was told I would feel vibrations driving which i don't think is happening, also had local shop look at it, and drive it, and they stated they didn't think it was that either, only that rear end was kind of loose, but that was common with these. Whatever this is though it doesn't feel normal. There is some damage to the bed- and wheel well's, wondering if maybe the bed is just loose and shifting???? Any Ideas??

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do you have a LONG prybar?

If so... start with the easy stuff...

Stick it between the bed and the frame...attempting to lift the bed.. Just enough to see if it shifts...

Then, jack the rear axle up.. particularly on the side you think is loose...

get the tire(s) about 2-4 inches off the ground, and use the bar there...

At some point, you could chock the wheels, and put the tranny in neutral, and rock the d-shaft back and forth as well, looking/listening for play/ clunks, etc..

There will be some back lash between the ring adn pinion...

Chase

·
what are you looking at?
315 Posts
7.3 2002 F350- when I take off or come to a stop (on occasion) I feel a pop or shift in the rear of the truck. Kind of like something is loose and shifting forward or backward. Seems to be coming from right side of rear- but not sure. I thought it might be U joints but was told I would feel vibrations driving which i don't think is happening, also had local shop look at it, and drive it, and they stated they didn't think it was that either, only that rear end was kind of loose, but that was common with these. Whatever this is though it doesn't feel normal. There is some damage to the bed- and wheel well's, wondering if maybe the bed is just loose and shifting???? Any Ideas??
You might get lucky and it might be something as simple and easy to fix as the splines on the slip yoke are dry and need a little grease.

·
Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
there is a TSB on the slip yokes onthe Superdutys. Check them out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts