Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey y'all,
It's been a few years since I've been active on the forums, but I thought I would share some recent mod's I've done to my truck:

For several years I've had higher than desired oil temp's, particularly when towing. On a trip last year from SoCal to Flagstaff (in early September... still hot in the Dez), my oil sump temps were running around 242°F-245°F, a bit higher than I'd like to see for a sustained period. I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact that I'm running the Stealth twin-pump setup, however, the issue seems to have been exacerbated when I went to the 207°F thermostat a few years back. The temp that the PCM sees (at the HPOP reservoir) was slightly lower, but only by a few degrees. I pulled and replaced the factory cooler, hoping it was clogged or something (plus, it was 18 yrs. old, and the o-rings had to be shot...). But, it looked excellent, other than the old o-rings. I went ahead and replaced it with a brand new one... But that made no difference in the sump/HPOP temps.

It's unfortunate that no one makes an "all-in-one" spin-on filter adapter plate for the 7.3, that has external connections for an external cooler/filter, etc. There are a ton of them out there for various other engines and filter combo's, but nothing for the 7.3 Powerstroke. HOWEVER, I did find a remote filter base that accepts the stock FL-1995 filter. AND, a spin-on remote adapter/base, to go on in place of the stock filter on the engine. Both parts are made by "Hamburger's Performance Products" (part of "Trans-Dapt", a company that's been around a long time...). By combining those two items (remoting the stock filter back a bit), some hose, an oil-bypass thermostat, and, of course, a cooler... Voila! External auxiliary oil cooler system. It all tucked in very nice up along the left side of the block/pan. I doesn't hang down particularly low, so ground clearance shouldn't be a problem when off-roading. Also, I thought it important to keep the stock, FL-1995 filter in the truck, as they are readily available, and it's what works with the engine. Since I'm rolling on the road/out of town alot, I wanted the oil filter to be easy to find (every parts store carries a Powerstroke filter, in some brand!).

I haven't towed with it yet, but just running around town/highway, I'm seeing a significant drop in running temps: 10-12°F at the HPOP, 6-8°F in the sump. The current cooler is a top-inlet/outlet, 25-row unit, made in Sweden, but I plan to up-size to a 60-row "Earl's" cooler (with side in/out) very shortly.

The oil thermostat bypasses most flow around the cooler until the oil temp reaches about 200°F , then it begins to close and direct the flow to the cooler (fully closed by 205°F).

All the hoses and fittings are -12 (3/4") size, so as not to restrict any flow. Originally, I had planned to use basic "1-wire" hydraulic hose & fittings for the plumbing, but the selection of hose-ends is much better with the S/S-braid "race" hose. It's a little "blingy", but kinda cool at the same time. Plus, being anodized aluminum, the fittings won't rust/corrode over time as steel hydraulic fittings might.

The oil filter base is mounted on a fabricated S/S bracket, bolted to the PTO cover on the trans. The cooler is mounted to the lower core-support member (although that will change when the bigger Earl's cooler goes in).

Here are some pics of the final install:

The second Mod is the coolant de-gas bottle. Always a source of irritation on these trucks (IMO)...

I've been through a few of these over the years, and was about to fab one up myself, out of aluminum. But then I Googled it, and found a few different manufacturers were actually making them.

Since I had already installed a Mishimoto aluminum radiator awhile back, I found that they had just released a new de-gas tank design (it wasn't even technically on the market yet). I was able to pre-order one (directly from Mishimoto) for a pretty reasonable price. It took about a month for it to arrive, but it's pretty nice! Has a little sight-glass to check cold-level. Welds are all very nice and clean; seems like a very well-made piece.

I ordered mine in black "micro-crinkle" finish, but they also come bare, polished aluminum. Fit was PERFECT! Looks much better, and no more worry of the sh!tty plastic tank cracking/leaking. Other aftermarket suppliers are selling them as well ("Summit", "Jegs"), but prices are a bit higher than I paid. Also, a couple of other shops are making custom aluminum tanks as well. They also looked very good, but were a bit higher-priced than the Mishimoto...

Check it out:

That's it for now!
Thanks for looking!

~Al

·
Native Texan
8,986 Posts
That oil cooler mod is awesome what thermostat did u use.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That oil cooler mod is awesome what thermostat did u use.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
The 'stat is one from "Improved Racing". It's a hi-flow design (20 GPM), yet still very compact in size. Came with the -12AN fittings.
High-Flow Engine Oil Cooler Thermostat FSM-185-215

·
Native Texan
8,986 Posts
Cool going have to wait but might be a good upgrade.

"Y'all have a wonderful"

·
Native Texan
8,986 Posts
Ok have to ask bout the copper pipe behind the filter.

"Y'all have a wonderful"

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok have to ask bout the copper pipe behind the filter.
That's my fresh-water line to the back seat....
LOL

I wondered if anybody was going to notice/ask about that!

Actually, that's the CCV line...

When the new cooler/thermostat/filter setup went in, the old T444 crank-case vent pipe (which comes down the back of the engine, next to the left-side trans) ran right into the new hoses and t'stat.

Sooo... i had some 3/4" soft copper tubing laying on the shelf, and bent it up to match the original pipe (pretty close), and used it to replace/relocate the old CCV line. I couldn't bend a tight enough radius on the end, to offset over the new filter base, so I sweated-on some copper 90's, to get it around/over everything.

I should probably have painted it black, so it's a little less noticeable... :doh:

~Al

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.
The devil's in the details!

~Al

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Great info Calico5 thanks for sharing.
When you fire up the your truck say after sitting overnight, how long till oil pressure comes up? Any difference in time over stock?
How many quarts for oil change now and do you drain oil out of the cooler as well?
Lastly I run a Donaldson DB7405 filter (same threads as stock) only much larger capacity, seems to keep oil looking cleaner longer too.
Cheers,
Thanks again
j

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey @Calico5, are the fittings in and out of the filter adapter -12AN ORB fittings?
Hey- sorry for the late reply... Haven't had a chance to get on the forum for a while.

Yes, all the plumbing is -12 size (hose and fittings).

I wouldn't recommend anything smaller, as the oil system flows A LOT of oil in these engines, and you don't want any loss of oil flow into the engine.

~Al

ON EDIT:
I guess I missed the point of your question...:doh:.
Yes: the female-threads in both the spin-on adapter and the remote filter block are female -12ORB.
I used -12ORB to -12AN male adapters for those.

Links to Mfg:
Spin-on Adapter
Filter Block
(These are cheaper from "Jeg's" than buying direct...)

The thermostat has -10 ORB's in it. I used -10ORB to -12AN male adapters for that one. The cooler itself has metric threads in it (about the same as -10's), however, it was supplied with the metric-to-12AN adapters.
The new "Earl's" cooler (not installed yet) I believe has -10 ORB's in it. I will use the -10ORB to -12AN adapters there, as well.

~Al

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great info Calico5 thanks for sharing.
When you fire up the your truck say after sitting overnight, how long till oil pressure comes up? Any difference in time over stock?
How many quarts for oil change now and do you drain oil out of the cooler as well?
Lastly I run a Donaldson DB7405 filter (same threads as stock) only much larger capacity, seems to keep oil looking cleaner longer too.
Cheers,
Thanks again
j
Hey j,
Sorry for long delay in replying. Just haven't had a chance to get on here...

Absolutely no noticeable change in pressure-up time on start-up; same as stock, even after overnight (or several days!) of sitting. That was a concern I had when planning the system, but happily there was no change!

Total capacity seems to have increased by about a quart, or-so (on initial refill). I haven't had to change the oil yet, so I'll get a better idea of that, once I do a regular oil change.

As far as draining the cooler: good damn question! LOL

I originally was going to put the cooler with inlet/outlet facing down, which would have enabled me to disconnect the cooler hoses quite easily, and facilitated draining of the cooler. However, I was concerned about having air trapped in the cooler, so I opted for putting the in/out on the top (thus, it could fill completely and purge all air). I'm figuring I'll have to pull the hoses (from cooler) off at the t'stat block, and drain it there (perhaps with a little air to encourage it...).

Long term: I have a brand-new "Earl's" 60-row cooler waiting to go in (I need to fab some bracketry to support it). It's quite a bit larger than the SUSA cooler... This will be fed on the left side (hot in at bottom, cool out at top) and I will incorporate some drain fittings specifically for the cooler & lines. Just gotta get the time to do the install...

I'll post up some pic's once I get that portion of the job completed.

It's been working great. I did a 1200-mile trip (up & back) to Northern Cal in January, pulling my toy-hauler, and everything worked great. Oil temps were much better than previously (although ambient air was pretty cool...). I'm doing a trip to TX in June-July, so that will be the test! Gotta get the bigger cooler on there before that.

~Al

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
No worries Al, I’m a little ways off from your mod anyways, thanks for the added details on ORB to AN conversions and links. Great to hear you’ve have a positive outcome, can’t help think this is a great mod and even better due to thermostat, I’m thinking (in my winter climate).

Just in the throws of E-fuel conversion on Tan White Tan truck, then E4OD spin on filter, then this mod, then coolant filtration mod.... IC, jectors, well you know the drill hahahaa. When you get a moment would appreciate your take on GearVenders.... no rush.

Thanks again,
j

·
Project Shamu
2,408 Posts
Hey- sorry for the late reply... Haven't had a chance to get on the forum for a while.

Yes, all the plumbing is -12 size (hose and fittings).

I wouldn't recommend anything smaller, as the oil system flows A LOT of oil in these engines, and you don't want any loss of oil flow into the engine.

~Al

ON EDIT:
I guess I missed the point of your question...:doh:.
Yes: the female-threads in both the spin-on adapter and the remote filter block are female -12ORB.
I used -12ORB to -12AN male adapters for those.

Links to Mfg:
Spin-on Adapter
Filter Block
(These are cheaper from "Jeg's" than buying direct...)

The thermostat has -10 ORB's in it. I used -10ORB to -12AN male adapters for that one. The cooler itself has metric threads in it (about the same as -10's), however, it was supplied with the metric-to-12AN adapters.
The new "Earl's" cooler (not installed yet) I believe has -10 ORB's in it. I will use the -10ORB to -12AN adapters there, as well.

~Al
Thanks for the answer! It seems I found another company makes the same adapters that you bought, from CSD Diesel https://www.carsonstaufferdiesel.com/collections/engine-1994-1997-7-3l/products/7-3-oil-filter-relocation for $250 for both of them. I will probably go with them, for simplicity and its a bit cheaper, but same thing. I believe they are -10AN, but so are all the coolers, so I hope 5/8" is big enough!

No worries Al, I’m a little ways off from your mod anyways, thanks for the added details on ORB to AN conversions and links. Great to hear you’ve have a positive outcome, can’t help think this is a great mod and even better due to thermostat, I’m thinking (in my winter climate).

Just in the throws of E-fuel conversion on Tan White Tan truck, then E4OD spin on filter, then this mod, then coolant filtration mod.... IC, jectors, well you know the drill hahahaa. When you get a moment would appreciate your take on GearVenders.... no rush.

Thanks again,
j
I too, am interested in the GearVendors, me and a co-worker are BOTH contemplating getting one in the future.

I will stick with a 2wd gearvendors, as I'm going to a divorced T-case, but I don't know how much longer the gear vendors is, compared to the stock tailshaft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts