Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 f250 7.3 2wd auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So been having the crank no start issue since 10/1. Had issues with hpop reservoir draining while cranking but fixed that issue. I’m now getting these numbers +/- while cranking…

Seems to build pressure, I’m getting smoke, and it hiccups every second crank cycle. RPMs seem to be consistent 168-180 while cranking and jumps to 360ish+ on those very very quick hiccups.. wondering what’s keeping me from running? CPS possibly?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
What are we looking at o the graphs? What is green and what is red? Assuming one is ICP. Cheers!

·
Registered
95 f250 7.3 2wd auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I just now am seeing that the full photo isn’t showing.. red is IPR and green is ICP.

·
Registered
95 f250 7.3 2wd auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patrick I see if you click the photos to enlarge them there is an con on the bottom right that looks like little boxes and if I click that the black bar on the bottom drops and you can see the info

·
Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
3,431 Posts
Patrick I see if you click the photos to enlarge them there is an con on the bottom right that looks like little boxes and if I click that the black bar on the bottom drops and you can see the info
What are we looking at o the graphs? What is green and what is red? Assuming one is ICP. Cheers!
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Plot Parallel

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
How cold are you getting? This sounds like a classic bad glow plug relay/dead glow plug scenario. What happens if you plug the block in for 4 or so hours during the day? Watch the RPMs while cranking if you want to see what the CPS is doing.

Cj

·
Registered
95 f250 7.3 2wd auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the response cj, I’m in central Florida. Recently been down in the 50s at night and I was recording the data yesterday and it was in the mid/high 70s. I thought about the block heater as well but neglected to do it. I had the dashboard screen up on my scanner app and it stays around 160/170 and when it “stutters” like it wants to start it’s a split split second and it jumps to about 360/380 but if you’re not paying attention you wouldn’t see it that’s how quick it is. The other unfortunate circumstance is I’ve been running jumpers to my ole lady’s car so I can’t exactly crank it forever and ever you know. I definitely need batteries but just didn’t want to throw $400 at it if it wasn’t entirely necessary to get it started. It cranks fast enough IMO I just don’t hold ‘em very long.

·
Registered
95 f250 7.3 2wd auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response cj, I’m in central Florida. Recently been down in the 50s at night and I was recording the data yesterday and it was in the mid/high 70s. I thought about the block heater as well but neglected to do it. I had the dashboard screen up on my scanner app and it stays around 160/170 and when it “stutters” like it wants to start it’s a split split second and it jumps to about 360/380 but if you’re not paying attention you wouldn’t see it that’s how quick it is. The other unfortunate circumstance is I’ve been running jumpers to my ole lady’s car so I can’t exactly crank it forever and ever you know. I definitely need batteries but just didn’t want to throw $400 at it if it wasn’t entirely necessary to get it started. It cranks fast enough IMO I just don’t hold ‘em very long.
This whole crank no start originally started because I ran the truck low on fuel because of the situation I was in and by the time I got it filled up it was extremely hard to get started back up tht day. Eventually got it started, and drove it to work the following day which was Friday. Saturday I went to work as well and on my home it started shaking and chugging like it was out of fuel again and it coasted to a stop. Towed it home and been messing with it ever since.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
On the fuel... On the driver side of the full bowl there is a schrader valve. Pop the valve open and see if any air comes out. It may take a few times of cranking/purging air out to completely clear the air out of the fuel system.

Cj

·
Registered
95 f250 7.3 2wd auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I’ve been doing that as well. Not while cranking but after about 3-4 cycles I go up and hit it with my tire pressure gauge. Only been getting a little spit of air and just a drop of fuel out. I’m beginning to wonder if my pump is failed again. The pump is about 3 or so months old maybe 4. The bowl fills up but maybe the second stage is out.

·
Registered
95 f250 7.3 2wd auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just not sure though cause I do get intermittent smoke while cranking. Injector buzz test passes as well.

·
Registered
95 f250 7.3 2wd auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and also CJ, about a year or so ago when I had gotten the truck I did some preventative maint of course as well as changed a few prts for run ability issues. One of which was the IPR. At the time I didn’t realize but when I had ordered it for my 95, they sent me one for 96+. The truck had run just fine so I didn’t think anything of it of course and when I had it out the other day I realized it wasn’t the correct one. Would you think maybe this had something to do with it being in there over time?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Looking at your IPR data the high pressure oil system is operating normally. I really don't think it is the IPR. HPOP also looks good as it is peaking to 3000 psi. Fuel system, however... you should get a good squirt of fuel when you press the tip of the schrader valve (especially if you have just tried starting the engine). I would look closely at the fuel system.. The pumps (even new) have been known to fail sooner than the originals.

Cj

·
Registered
95 f250 7.3 2wd auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Think I should just order a new pump? I’m not exactly sure how to diagnose the one I have. I’m not NEW to diesels but I definitely don’t know everything hahaha

·
Registered
95 f250 7.3 2wd auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, she finally lives! Another 7.3 owner eluded by the dependability of mechanical pumps. Put the new pump in and she fired up after about 5 min. I want to thank everyone for their help and guidance through out. PatrickFeely and cj fisher especially. Hope you all had a great thanksgiving and thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Good to hear you are running! And yes, Thanksgiving was great.

Reactions: Reds73psd
1 - 16 of 16 Posts