Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I'm in the beginning process/planing of a 24 valve swap into my 92 F350.... Omg I'm so excited! Lol...

I have a 2001 dodge 4x4 standard 6 speed write off that I bought... Before I rip into it and start selling parts I don't want or need... What am I going to want off of the truck?

I'm thinking engine, transmission and transfer case, maybe rad? Will the intercooler work?

Any pointers?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... Been doing some... Mmmm more like allot of reading and I'm starting to think that I'm going to use the dodge rad and intercooler... Going to take some measurements tomorrow... And more searching the net tonight...

But I'm not seeing allot of info on nv5600 transmission and transfer case portion of the swap...

Will the nv5600 fit in the truck? What about the clutch master cylinder... Will the Ford one work?

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Don't know man, kinda doubt it though. I'll just depend on the plumbing. If the lines and fittings are the same, then it'll work. If they aren't, then it won't. Also the relationship between the size of the pistons is going to be important too. Same reason you can't just stick a bigger brake master on your truck. It's a hydraulic thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well looks like it's been done on other trucks... I found a thread on a superduty and a suburban... I'm thinking the Ford mc should work if I can figure out how to plumb it...

Other option is use the dodge mc... Might not be that hard to bolt it on the firewall...

Wiring looks doable. Looks like all it really needs is the usual keyed power, 12v and ground... I've read it's only about half a dozen wires to make it run and then all the gauges, lights, wipers etc to the cab.

I'm leaning towards using the whole engine and under hood harness and mating it to the Ford harness at the firewall. Also remember seeing a fuse box? On the drivers inner fender. Be nice to incorporate that into my swap...

Still need to choose motor mounts and decide if I'm going to keep the engine fan or run e-fans... Little worried about where the shifter is going to exit in the cab... And I like the idea of keeping the turbo away from the ac condenser. Also hope to keep my existing exhaust manifold... Although the manifold that has the turbo moved forward might be nice or needed.

Really trying to figure out all the peticulars before I start... I can't be without a truck for long. As it is I'm thinking it's going to take a couple of months with evenings and weekends but hopefully quicker if I plan and get all the parts ready beforehand.

Also had a thought I'd mod the harness in the dodge truck and see if I can get it to work before hand... Spoofing for ignition switch etc... Think I might just do that.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Honestly it's a really common swap.
You should be able to find any of the info you need.
While the dodge mc/hb can be made to work, be a lot easier to do a setup from that era truck. All of the F-SuperDuty trucks of that body style run hydroboost.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the dodge service manual... Omg it's 2900 pages!

Also going to skip the idea of keeping the dodge under hood harness and just use the engine harness... Way to much stuff to delete and edit out. Going to keep the engine in the truck for now and start on getting the engine wiring figured out in the truck before I pull it...

Guess it's time to start ordering parts! Clutch, gaskets, maybe a water pump just because, motor mounts and exhaust down pipe and full exhaust. And maybe a different manifold...

Honestly thinking about 4'' straight pipe. The guy I bought the truck off of took his new exhaust off and it's running right off of the elbow... honesty its not that loud... It's weird... Makes me think that straight pipes (big pipes lol) wouldn't sound bad. :)

·
CAT lover
602 Posts
subbed!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
my stepson has a 93 12 valve, we installed 4" stainless exhaust with no muffler....cummins sounds great! But man that truck is LOUD LOUD LOUD too loud for my taste

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok... Took some measurements and there's no way I can use the 01 intercooler...

The rad would fit but I don't think it would be useful to do so...

So now it's time to start looking for an intercooler.

I hear the Ford 6.0 liter will work... Anyone know what years into obs ford? Will any years work?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
any 6.0 intercooler will fit your obs
It will require modifications to the truck, you will have to chop away radiator support to make clearance for the intercooler inlets and outlets, you will also need to fabricate upper and lower mounts
I stuffed the 6.0 FMIC in my truck right up against the radiator and ac condenser, kept plenty of room to add more coolers if needed behind the grill (if I ever go auto, Zf6, etc)
If you are doing an auto you can snag the 6.0 trans cooler also they are HUGE

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scored an intercooler off Craigslist... So that's done... Thanks.

Got motor mounts and tachometer kit, down pipe and other stuff coming in the next couple of days...

Motor is almost ready to pull out of the dodge...

Have to order some gaskets and stuff for some oil leaks that I want to address before the swap...

Been thinking about wiring... Ordered a 6 relay box for my relays. I need relays for engine and fuel pump... Headlights and alarm...

Was talking to the guys at Dieselconversion.com about having them modify my harness... I was leaning towards doing it myself but they stated that they wanted the pcm harness... Didn't ask why (stupid me) but I'm wondering what purpose the pcm could have? I have a standard truck so don't need it for that... There is the alternator but that's easily addressed without the pcm... They did say that it was needed for some programmers...

I've read allot of threads about the 24 valve Cummins swap... But none that have the pcm working. Several have the obd2 port wired and have the ability to pull codes... None have a programmer working with obd2 port..

Anyone have the pcm wired and working? If so why?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the engine and transmission out of the dodge... Sold a bunch of stuff off the dodge already and my engine and transmission out of the Ford... I'm now down to 2000 bucks for the swap!

But I did find some issues... The input shaft on the nv5600 is shot so looks like a transmission rebuild is necessary... Which really sucks! I'm guessing 2 to 3 grand :( add the exhaust and clutch and fuel pump and driveshafts and little stuff it's still going to be 7+ grand into the swap... I've never sold anything on Craigslist... Learning to understand why people hate it lol...

Got my stuff from dcs and some wiring info... Great guys to talk to and deal with... But the pcm wiring info is a bit cryptic... Engine wiring looks easy...

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
You should be able to rebuild that trans yourself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear you need a jig and some other special tools along with the ability to move the transmission around (its 400 lbs) I think I'll have someone who is familiar with the transmission do it for me...

So I scored an 05 common rail manifold and he351cw turbo from Craigslist...

I tried it fliped and it hits the valve cover so I'm thinking it is better to use it in the factory cr location.

The he351 is supposed to be a nice upgrade over the hx35... From what I've read it's equal to a hx40 and can support 450 hp which is my goal

The hx35 vs he351 exhaust elbow is dramatically larger... I just need to figure out how to get the oil drain hooked up and maybe (haven't checked) a new oil supply line.

Also hoping that the exhaust will be able to clear the firewall... I hope to find out maybe today as the idi is coming out today :)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It fits!

Looks like having a body lift is really a good thing... I don't have to do much sledge hammer work except for the down pipe... I already have 5 inches but I'm going to make some more to clear the 5 inch exhaust... There was a heat shield riveted to the underside that I removed... I'm thinking I can fold over the body lip and wrap the header in header wrap... Might also add a heat shield. Also the transmission crossmember needs to be pushed back 10 inches and the hole in the floor cut back another 4 or 5 inches...man that nv5600 is huge in relation to the zf5 that came out... But everything looks to be totally doable! :)

Nice to see the motor in there!

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still researching the pcm... from what I understand its needed for some programmer's... but not needed to run the engine...

Yes I've had to take a year break from my swap... back at it now:)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts