Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i read that john woods Put a 6.4l flexplate on a 6.0l to use the 6.4l converter will this work? I have a new 6.4l tranns and converter and would like to use the converter!!

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because i sprayed about 400 pounds of nitrous past it and its junk now ...And i already have a complete 6.4 trans and converter so i was wondering if its true that you can run the 6.4 flexplate i read somewere john wood did it a few times

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
PM psdplayer, he will know fo sho. but the way that i understand it, you need to use the flexplate, with the converter. So if you use a 6.4 converter. you need to use a 6.4 flex plate, same goes the other way for 6.4 trucks, if you use a 6.0 conveter, you need to use a 6.0 flex plate. I think the 6.4 converters are a little heavier duty than the 6.0s stock, but i might be wrong.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Because i sprayed about 400 pounds of nitrous past it and its junk now ...And i already have a complete 6.4 trans and converter so i was wondering if its true that you can run the 6.4 flexplate i read somewere john wood did it a few times
Junk how? Blew up the stator?

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not sure it shutters like mad and wont unlock right...stays locked below 45 mph like its a manual trans in OD or something it use to lockup nice and hard no its sluggish locks then unlocks then locks hard. I have ran tadds tunes and erics nothing changes...I thought what you are thinking dustin 6.0 converter 6.0 flexplate...6.4 flexplate 6.4 converter...I just want to know can i buy a 6.4 flexplate and run the whole 6.4 tranns and converter...I already have the tranns so i want to put it to use!!

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Im not sure it shutters like mad and wont unlock right...stays locked below 45 mph like its a manual trans in OD or something it use to lockup nice and hard no its sluggish locks then unlocks then locks hard. I have ran tadds tunes and erics nothing changes...I thought what you are thinking dustin 6.0 converter 6.0 flexplate...6.4 flexplate 6.4 converter...I just want to know can i buy a 6.4 flexplate and run the whole 6.4 tranns and converter...I already have the tranns so i want to put it to use!!
I wonder if you ballooned the cover. If wasn't locking up it would have thrown a converter clutch code by now. It looks at RPM and imput shaft to determine slip across the converter.

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm Maybe its just my clutchs it the trans? I dont want to use this old converter in my new tranny if there has been debris ran through it? And like i said i have a 6.4 converter and tranns so hoping just a flywheel will make it all work together

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya i hear that brent i wasent gonna reuse the old one i was just saying Im not gonna reuse it even if it wasent junk. Just gonna run the new 6.4l converter that i have with my new 6.4l tranns I got a flexplate for 100 new from ford so we will see how that works

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a definitive answer for this rather old thread but I thought I'd add it here in case someone else is looking for this information. I searched far and wide for an answer before I switched to a 6.4 flexplate and torque converter. I found some anecdotal evidence that the 6.4 and 6.0 flexplate were not the same. I also found some posts where folks said they had done it and it worked fine for them.

I took a chance and moved forward with the swap. The first think I noticed when I started the truck was a vibration associated with the rpm of the engine. It came and went through the rpm range but at idle it was most noticeable. I knew that I'd be taking my transmission out again.

I checked with a local shop about balancing one flexplate to match another and they confirmed they could do it but they had a 1 week lead time. I couldn't wait that long so I decided to balance it myself. I borrowed a high-precision scale from the company I work for and yanked the 6.4 flexplate on a Sunday afternoon. First, I measured both plates for total weight.

6.0 flexplate: 7.768 lb
6.4 flexplate: 7.965 lb

I wasn't worried about 1/1000 of a lb so I determined that .2 lb (3.2 oz) would need to be removed from the plate if all other aspects were the same (weight of steel, starter ring, etc).

In order to determine if all else was the same, I measured the weight of each side of the plate.

6.0 4.026 / 3.738
6.4 4.213 / 3.753

As you can see the weight difference is 92% on the weighted side of the flexplate. So I set about to remove approx 3.2 oz from the weights that were welded to the one side of the 6.4 flexplate. I started with a drill press and made two 1/2" holes in the outer portion of each of the two weights. (Farthest away from the torque converter bolt hole between the weights). This removed approx .1 lb in total. I wanted to continue removing weight from the outer edge so I removed and additional .1 lb with a grinder on the outer edges of the weights.

I ended up with

6.0 4.026 / 3.738
6.4 4.038 / 3.728

As you can see, removing the weight from the "heavy" side also balanced the non-weighted side. I installed the flex plate and it seemed to be perfectly balanced. I'm sure that a shop could do a better job with the proper machinery but I was happy with the result and I did it in an afternoon.

·
Administrator
32,933 Posts
confused

those flexplates are balanced at the factory the 6.0 and 6.4 are interchangeable assuming you use the torque converter for the proper flexplate ( different bolt pattern )

also the stall speed are different but that may or may not be noticeable

here is a 6.0 and a 6.4 you can see they had to split the balance weight to accommodate the 8 bolts of the 6.4 torque converter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts